right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
2 DAYS until our "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Ask your question NOW if you are a registered member!

Tufts ED 2024 Results only

venezia9venezia9 9 replies1 threads New Member
Hi y'all decisions come out at 7 p.m. today so once you hear back if u could put your decision below to help future students!!
Format:

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown):
ACT (breakdown):
SAT II:
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):
AP (place score in parenthesis):
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load:
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Job/Work Experience:
Volunteer/Community service:
Summer Activities:
Essays (rating 1-10, details):
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1:
Teacher Rec #2:
Counselor Rec:
Additional Rec:
Interview:

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?:
Intended Major and College:
State (if domestic applicant):
Country (if international applicant):
School Type:
Ethnicity:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflection

Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:

General Comments :
24 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Tufts ED 2024 Results only

• Suby1652Suby1652 4 replies4 threads New Member
    Deferred... How the hell? I have a 4.29 and 1580 SAT and 800 on both my subjects! Projected valedictorian/ Extracurriculars were 4.5/5 and supplements were great had them read over by my college counselor. 1000+ hours volunteering over high school. I guess it makes sense though they said they only accepted 10.5% of applicants ED this year. I am devastated. :(
    · Reply · Share
  • annacollyannacolly 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Accepted!!
    4.40 gpa
    33 act
    · Reply · Share
  • MKEgirl223344MKEgirl223344 5 replies0 threads New Member
    Deferred
    I'm sad - feel like there's something missing that I don't have which is never a good feeling. But honestly, with my stats, I am not surprised. They are the only school in the US that has civic studies which sucks because I just want to help others.
    3.8 GPA
    30 ACT
    · Reply · Share
  • LMNO1234LMNO1234 3 replies1 threads New Member
    Would you mind sharing a screenshot the ED admissions stats from your letter?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheBigChefTheBigChef 663 replies6 threads Member
    I guess it makes sense though they said they only accepted 10.5% of applicants ED this year. I am devastated.

You have a source for that? 10.5% is lower than Ivies for ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • nushkushnushkush 9 replies0 threads New Member
    4.17 33 act accepted!! i'm super surprised :)
    · Reply · Share
  • clarisity145clarisity145 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Accepted! still can't believe it! 3.7 gpa, 34 act
    · Reply · Share
  • SoftBreadSoftBread 9 replies0 threads New Member
    I GOT IN YALL MY HANDS ARE SHAKING
    Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): N/A
    ACT (breakdown): 33 (34 Math, 35 Reading, 29 Science, 34 Grammar)
    SAT II: 780 Math, 750 Biology
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 99.7 (weighted)
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
    AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Biology (4), World History (5), APUSH (5), AP Stats (5), AP Chem (3) and now BC Calc, Spanish Literature, English Literature, Econ, Psychology
    IB (place score in parenthesis):
    Senior Year Course Load: *APs listed above as well as Orchestra
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): DECA Top 10 at States, Columbia Model UN Honorable Mention, AP Scholar with Distinction
    Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Academic League (Co-Captain), Math Team (Co-captain), DECA, Model UN, History Honor Society (VP), Tri-M Music Honor Society (Co-founder/CoPresident), Tutoring Organization (Leader), other honor societies, School Newspaper, Chamber Orchestra, and Student Government
    Job/Work Experience: Tutor
    Volunteer/Community service: I tutored for free, participated in Youth Court, and volunteered at other places but I didn't mention that in my app
    Summer Activities: N/A
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): About trying new things even if it scares me; Maybe 7/10? 8/10? I'm really proud of my supplements though and tried to convey my voice and personality.

Teacher Rec #1: My math teacher who I absolutely loved and still stop by to talk to. Maybe somewhere an 8/10
    Teacher Rec #2: My history teacher who is also the advisor for a club I'm in and knew me super well. 7-8/10.
    Counselor Rec: I was a bit worried since my guidance counselor for my first three years of HS retired but I tried my best to connect to my new one with lots of meetings and emails. Maybe a 6 or 8/10.
    Additional Rec: N/A
    Interview: I think it went well! She was a teacher and I was able to convey my enthusiasm about Tufts and my knowledge/interests. One question she gave (what would do you want admissions to know?) threw me off though and I wasn't able to give a proper answer (which she did notice and instead provided a gateway to another topic). We connected in terms of interests and I asked a lot of questions.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: YES
    Intended Major and College: Economics at CAS
    State (if domestic applicant): New York
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity: Asian
    Income Bracket: 100+K
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): ED???? Not really anything :/ I just really love this school

Reflection

Strengths: My scores match what they want? I guess I fit the type of student they want?
    Weaknesses: I marinated over my answer to that one question in my interview for a while? Not sure :/ Maybe my common app was cheesy?
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I tried my best to show enthusiasm about Tufts! My interviewer looked surprised when I knew a lot about a club she was in and when the admissions officer visited my school I asked specific questions and even thanked him for coming through an email after.
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: It's early so none so far
    General Comments : IM SO HAPPY
    · Reply · Share
  • carpetsquarecarpetsquare 7 replies1 threads New Member
    Accepted!!!!! I can't believe this ahhhhh

Objective:
    ACT : 34 (35 English, 35 Writing, 29 Math, 36 Science)
    SAT II: 730 Math 1 (not really sure why I submitted this tbh)
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.89
    Weighted GPA: My school doesn't weight but almost all the honors and AP classes my school offers
    AP : Euro (5), Gov (5)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP physics 2, AP comp sci principles, AP spanish lang, AP spanish lit, Econ, bible lit, our schools version of AP comp, precalc

Subjective:

Extracurriculars : 7 years of dance (ballet/pointe, jazz, modern, tap, contemporary) + competition ream (various awards), 4 years of model un (various awards, current president), 4 years of deca (various awards), 2 years of lax, NHS, Spanish honors society
    Volunteer/Community service: Lots of hours at a local food pantry, many other assorted hours
    Summer Activities: Tons of dance, performed at Disney with my dance team, CIEE month spanish study abroad
    Essays : Personal statement- 7-8/10 ??? so hard to judge them myself- I used a long analogy of philosophy as a puzzle connected to my love for learning. Why tufts 8/10- so hard to convey everything you want to in so little space but I think I managed to relate my love of Tufts to myself and community well. The other one- 8/10 (?) I talked about MUN and how I've built a community and how much I love teaching mun stuff to my members.
    Recommendations : (didn't get to read any)

Teacher Rec #1: 9/10- one of my absolute favorite teachers- super enthusiastic about writing this for me, I think it was probably quite good.
    Teacher Rec #2: 8/10- also one of my all time favorite teachers, I have a wonderful relationship with her.
    Counselor Rec: Honestly I have no idea, my school's huge so I don't really know her it was all based on my brag sheet.
    Interview: N/A didn't get one

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major and College: Arts and sciences, political science
    State : Wisconsin
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity: White
    Income Bracket:
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None? ED? I think I'm pretty Tufts-y?

Reflection

Strengths: Letters of rec, supplementals, Tufts-y quality
    Weaknesses: EC's, SAT II
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Not totally sure! But I'd say I think I prob "fit" well, my scores and grades were def in their ranges, I think my passion for Tufts shone through well in my essays
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Applied EA to Minnesota- accepted w/ honors

General Comments : AHHH I can't believe I got in!!! I'm so excited!
    · Reply · Share
  • bananabread04bananabread04 2 replies0 threads New Member
    alright so i havent seen any rejects put down their stats and stuff so ill take one for the team

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1480
    ACT (breakdown): 33 (didnt send)
    weighted GPA: 4.2
    AP (place score in parenthesis): ap calc ab: 5 (took 3 other aps but didnt send my scores)
    Senior Year Course Load: ap lit, ap calc bc, ap chem, ap comp gov, ap psych, us history 2 honors, religion

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): dont feel like writing them all out, but i have more than 10 and quite a few leadership positions
    Job/Work Experience: hostess/answer phones at a restaurant
    Volunteer/Community service: volunteered at two camps for the disbabled since freshman year
    Summer Activities:
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): i thought these were really, really strong but i guess not
    Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): chem teacher and english teacher - i have absolutely no idea how to rate these

Interview: i thought it went really well, we had a good conversation, and she said id be a really good fit for tufts

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
    Intended Major and College: chem and english double major
    School Type: private/catholic
    Ethnicity: white

Reflection

Why you think you were rejected: maybe my gpa/sat? maybe because i applied for financial aid? idk and i really want to know where i went wrong

General Comments : congrats to everyone who got in :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Idaho208Idaho208 2 replies0 threads New Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm a mom too, watching my kids go through this. You are top students and will do exceptionally well wherever you land. If you were deferred from Tufts, you have a decent chance of getting in. So, keep your grades and your spirits up. Tufts Admissions says they try to give applicants a definitive answer, to not keep applicants in limbo. If you were deferred, it's because you are a competitive candidate, so keep in touch with them to show your interest, at an appropriate level. If you have a guidance counselor who is able to reach out to your local admissions rep at some point on your behalf, the rep getting to know who you are can help too. Also, get excited about other schools, look at other ED II schools. There are many amazing schools out there who will be excited about you too. I'm a Tufts parent, and my 2nd is also applying. Just like every school, Tufts has its issues (imo, the biggest is lack of on campus housing for juniors & seniors in a very expensive area). Tufts is wonderful, but no school is perfect. You'll find one that is great for you.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • swimmerg111swimmerg111 4 replies1 threads New Member
    edited December 2019
    Accepted!
    ACT: 34 (36 reading/35 English/34 science/31 math)
    Weighted: 4.0, unweighted probably around 3.6
    APs: Euro (3), bio (4), eng lang (4)
    Senior year courses: honors physics, calc, graphic design, honors Spanish 5, AP Lit, Honors Stats

Extracurriculars: nationally ranked choir participant throughout high school, qualified for national meets (NCSAs) for swimming, over 150 meaningful volunteer hours, went to leadership seminars etc

Work experience: worked three jobs this summer; lifeguarding/swim lesson instructor/ medical research at one of the top hospitals into the country. Exceptionally lucky to have had the last opportunity.

Essays: I thought it was pretty good (of course I did or I wouldnt have submitted it lol)I also had a counselor help me edit it.

Recs: again, I would hope these were good. I had close relationships with the teachers I asked.

I did not interview, and I did not qualify for aid.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15244 replies1032 threads Senior Member
    @Suby1652 According to your posting history you applied to Tufts 2 years ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • MurrayMurrayMurrayMurray 1 replies0 threads New Member
    it would be helpful to hear answers to the list of questions, including hooks (URM? 1st Gen? Recruited athlete? Legacy), and if someone could post the deferred letter with the stats. The 10.5% does not sound right at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • rsil456rsil456 1 replies0 threads New Member
    edited December 2019
    ACCEPTED!

SAT: 1350 (730 writing, 620 math)
    Subject test: 790 US history

GPA (out of 100) 95.1

no rank

APUSH (5)
    AP Chem (4)
    AP Spanish Lang. (5)
    AP Eng. Comp. (5)
    AP Euro (5)

Senior courses:
    Physics I
    Practical Ethics
    AP Calc. Bc
    Ap Lit.
    Ap Spanish Lit.
    Gov.

Awards:
    Distinguished AP Scholar
    various regional tennis & art awards

Extracurriculars:
    StuCo (class rep.)
    NHS
    Lit Mag. (art editor)
    Foreign language club (historian// clothing drive organizer)
    school-spirit club (VP)
    MUN
    Wellness council
    Varsity tennis
    Manager for b-ball

Work at a local restaurant
    tons of volunteering at local preschools, kindergartens, and summer camps
    various volunteer trips

Financial aid: yes
    Major: international relations
    state: texas
    school type: private
    ethnicity: biracial (Hispanic & white)
    income: 60,000 annually for Parent 1, 70,000 for parent two (divorced)
    hooks: best school in city (?), diagnosed w chronic illness at 16

strengths: good student, well rounded, good writer, well-liked by teachers, leader
    weaknesses: test scores, not great at math

edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • iamstudent2132iamstudent2132 1 replies0 threads New Member
    10.5%?!!! Where’d you get that number from?
    · Reply · Share
  • carpetsquarecarpetsquare 7 replies1 threads New Member
    does anyone know when/where tufts usually releases its ED stats? and/or if they've been released already?
    · Reply · Share
  • Bjklw2aBjklw2a 120 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Tufts releases ED stats in its common data set in the Spring. Typically the acceptance rate is around 30 - 40% for ED I/II combined, I believe. Last year, they accepted just around 40%.

https://provost.tufts.edu/institutionalresearch/files/CDS_2018-2019-Final-Revised-7.22.19.pdf.
    · Reply · Share
  • clarisity145clarisity145 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Accepted!

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): didn't submit
    ACT (breakdown): 34 composite, 36 english, 31 math, 36 reading, 33 science
    SAT II: 740 literature, 720 US history
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): ~3.7 (my school doesn't calculate)
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Euro (5), Latin (4), APUSH (5)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
    Senior Year Course Load: AP art history, AP lit, AP physics 1, statistics, latin literature seminar (post AP)
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): magna cum laude on national latin exam

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): not going to list everything but my main things that I'm a pretty serious violist (principal viola in school orchestra, member of youth orchestra, 10+ hours practice each week) and that I'm really good at quiz team (highest scoring player in the league). I do other clubs but none of them are particularly significant imo.
    Job/Work Experience: summer job during the summer before senior year
    Volunteer/Community service: none
    Summer Activities: did music camp freshman + sophomore years, linguistics camp senior year
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): idk how to rate them but i think they were very strong, otherwise I wouldn't have submitted them. In my why tufts i talked about the perseus project and how it's helped me in my study of latin, and for my other essay I picked "what is something you could talk about endlessly?" and talked about a show that's had a big impact on my life. I was kind of nervous about that one but I guess it worked

Teacher Rec #1: didn't read
    Teacher Rec #2: didn't read
    Counselor Rec:
    Additional Rec: this is the only one I've actually read, from my viola teacher who's known me since I was 7. I'd give this a 9/10 I thought it was very good
    Interview: didn't have one

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: no
    Intended Major and College: classics
    State (if domestic applicant): IL (but I go to boarding school in another state)
    School Type: all girls boarding prep school
    Ethnicity: white
    Income Bracket: upper middle class
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflection

Strengths: my essays were very good and I got straight A's for the first time in my first quarter grades which I think definitely helped. I don't think I would've gotten in without that as my junior year grades were kind of weak.
    Weaknesses: GPA, not enough ECs
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: strong essays, upward trend in grades, strong commitment to activities. I think I managed to convey in my application that I was a really good fit for the school
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: haven't heard back from anywhere else and I'm withdrawing other applications

General Comments: I know I'm not really an underdog and my test scores are good but I freaked myself out so much in the week leading up to the decision. I know it's easy for me to say having gotten in now but don't worry too much if your gpa or test scores aren't as high as you'd like them to be
    · Reply · Share