Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Stupid questions about what people do after transferring

xMathxxMathx Registered User Posts: 258 Junior Member
edited April 2011 in UC Transfers
So I understand most of us are stuck at a community college trying to complete IGETC and all of our lower division classes. That normally accounts for about, what 100 units if I'm not mistaken?

Either way, once we're at a UC, we all have to fulfill around 13 courses for our upper division classes. That's about 2 courses per quarter for the remaining two years. What do people take additionally? I can't imagine spending two years at a UC just fulfilling my upper division classes.
Post edited by xMathx on

Replies to: Stupid questions about what people do after transferring

  • peterr86peterr86 Registered User Posts: 756 Member
    it all depends on your major really.

    For example for UCI Econ

    They require that you complete Math 4/Econ 15a,b/ 122A/b, 6 econ upper div electives , 100a/b/c series / 1 upper division writing

    so 15 classes right there or 60 units.

    Leaving about 20 units left.

    For me i am doing a management minor to fill those 20 units or you can always do an accounting minor or any minor.

    Or else you just take random B.S class to get those last 20. You can always get credit also for doing internships and undergraduate research as well.
  • melowemelowe Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    ^ Yeah, it can really depend on your major. Some are heftier than others and will require more. Also, sometimes you transfer in and don't take into account additional courses you may need.

    Many people take minors to fill up those units/quarters. This is what I'm doing where I am.
  • KenderKender Registered User Posts: 1,114 Senior Member
    I'm double majoring and none of my classes overlap so meeting minimum units to graduate/filling my time for two years is far from a problem for me because of it. I have zero filler courses, though. Kind of sad, really. I'm missing out on a lot of fun classes, but I'm enjoying what I am taking.

    Right now, I'm set to graduate with around 256 quarter units. Minimum I needed was 180 and I completed that amount a couple quarters ago.
  • babyygurlbabyygurl Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    I was actually wondering the same thing. Im a political science major so theres not too many upper division courses to take once I transfer, I think only 44 at UCSB. Does that mean I get to graduate whenever I'm done with my 44 units?
  • KenderKender Registered User Posts: 1,114 Senior Member
    From UCSB's website:
    To be eligible for a bachelor’s degree, you must complete a minimum of 180 total quarter units (184 if you fulfill General Education Area B with a college course). Of these, 60 quarter units must be upper division.

    Note: Students are not normally permitted to continue registering at UCSB once they have completed 200 units.

    Your overall unit requirement, then, is either 180 or 184 (Note that transferable semester units are worth 1.5 quarter units)

    You must complete a minimum of 60 upper-division units. Within the University of California, course numbering indicates level. Courses numbered:
    • 1-99 are lower division, normally broad surveys, designed as preparation for more advanced and narrowly focused courses.
    • 100-199 are upper division, usually narrowly focused and designed for juniors and seniors.
    • 200-299 and 500-599 are at the graduate level and normally open only to students who are pursing advanced degrees (M.A., M.S., or Ph.D.). These courses can be used toward the requirement of 60 upper-division units.
    • 300-499 are professional courses, which do not apply to any of the unit requirements for the bachelor's degree.

    Letters & Science Academic Advising :: Unit Requirements

    Even if you transferred in with the max 105 quarter units (if all your work is from a community college), then you would still have 31 units left to complete before you would be eligible to graduate. And assuming all of those 44 units are upper division, then 16 of those 31 units would have to be upper division to graduate as well.
  • USMC0311USMC0311 Registered User Posts: 373 Member
    No, you don't get to graduate as soon as you finish you UD major requirements. If after finishing your UD major requirements, you still don't have 180 total units,(including 60 UD) then you can get a minor or take elective classes. Some schools even have a few UD general Ed requirements you must meet. For example at UCSD Marshall you have to take 2 UD GE classes in addition to your major stuff. Like I said, get a minor or take electives. There's no graduating with just 150 units.
  • babyygurlbabyygurl Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Okay, that helps a lot. I'll have to minor in something then, probably econ. Thanks guys!
This discussion has been closed.