Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Do I need a foreign language to be able to transfer?

Andres760Andres760 - Posts: 57 Junior Member
edited July 2011 in UC Transfers
I never took a foreign language in high school and at the CCC I've take one semester of Spanish but I think you need two; assist.org it says," 3. Four transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each)
chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: the arts and
humanities (Area UC-H), the social and behavioral sciences (Area UC-B),
and the physical and biological sciences (Area UC-S)."

I've already taken, history (UC-B), Spanish (UC-H) and chemistry and bio (UC-S)

My major is chemistry in case that makes a difference.
Post edited by Andres760 on

Replies to: Do I need a foreign language to be able to transfer?

  • snipehuntersnipehunter Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    Idk if chemistry is a high-unit major or not, but if it's not, you should consider following the IGETC and not the 4 UC-transferable course crap. Following the IGETC = automatically satisfy that requirement. As for my CC, they only require me to take ONE semester only, so I guess it's fine if you just take one. Consider taking some other classes to follow the IGETC pattern and yeah, that's it.
  • Andres760Andres760 - Posts: 57 Junior Member
    Chemistry is a high unit major, how does that change things?
  • snipehuntersnipehunter Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    See assist if the UC you want to transfer to want you complete IGETC or not. Most of the time, high-unit majors are discouraged from completing the IGETC (except San Diego lol). However, if you have complete all pre-reqs, do the IGETC since it will save you lots of time + $
  • wwlinkwwlink Registered User Posts: 995 Member
    As your major is an L&S major, you will probably be best served to finish IGETC (plus, it's required for the UCSD TAG).

    What UC do you want to go to? At UCD you're not required to take foreign language for a BS degree or an engineering degree. :)

    Also: There are 2 types of language classes usually - there's one that tends to be 5 units or something large like that and is worth 3 classes of foreign language, and then there's one that's only 3-4 units and you need to take 2-3 of them. Be careful about that.
  • LAladyyLAladyy Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    It is not required to take a language to transfer for most UCs but many have language proficiency requirements that you must meet before graduation. At UCSD it depends on which college you get accepted into. At Cal for chem majors you need to pass a level 3 language course by the time you reach 90 semester units. Irvine requires all students complete level 3 proficiency prior to graduating. UCLA, UCR, and UCSB would all require level 3 proficiency for your major. UCR, UCM, UCSC do not have language requirements for chem majors.
  • wwlinkwwlink Registered User Posts: 995 Member
    Oh yes, I totally forgot about that - I don't think any of the UCs actually require you to have taken a foreign language before transferring.
This discussion has been closed.