Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UCLA Law & Unemployment

Replies to: UCLA Law & Unemployment

• statmanaggiestatmanaggie Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    My uncle graduated from Seton Hall Law and was very successful, having his own general practice in the area and knowing personally a lot of state officials, county judges, politicians, etc.

But later on in his career he began to hate it and eventually went into private consulting and teaching Business Law classes at Rutgers. He said it wasn't worth the aggravation and stress and didn't regret leaving his practice.
  • SMCguySMCguy Registered User Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    According to my Bio major friends, Dentists' have the lowest job satisfaction and quality of life. Google Dentist and job satisfaction and you'll find a bunch of reports.
  • briceiesbriceies Registered User Posts: 368 Member
    Just a reminder, all: If you think chasing money will bring you happiness, you should think twice.
  • smileycanneesmileycannee Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    ^Agreed. I know lawyers and dentists who do what they do for the wrong reasons and don't make a lot of money. On the other hand, I know people who are artists who are really rich. You can only control so much. If you do what you love and you're great at it, it will work in your favor eventually.

And to the person who threw out the statistics about dentists. I don't think you should use generalizations to determine your career choice. Always remember that a group of people could never represent a whole. My dentist freaking loves her job.

That is all. UCKittyChen, stop worrying too much! You're probably fine. :)
  • Ryan2136Ryan2136 - Posts: 396 Member
    happiness? let's worry about paying my bills and putting food on the table first before i start thinking of how happy i am with my life rofl
  • briceiesbriceies Registered User Posts: 368 Member
    You don't have to be a lawyer to put food on the table.
  • Ryan2136Ryan2136 - Posts: 396 Member
    ^ I agree with you
  • LizfromHollywoodLizfromHollywood Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    yeah yeah we all know the happiness bit. or do we? kittychen you know the happiness line, right??

anyways, 80,000 is on the low end. some statistics say over 100,000. unless you go the public sector route of course.

i am currently taking classes in the philosophy building at UCLA which is right next to the law school. the floors in the law school are made of cork so you cant hear people's footsteps. sounds exciting. and squishy.
  • UCkittychenUCkittychen Registered User Posts: 2,175 Senior Member
    so much people to reply too, but i am choosing not to answer to some.

@liz, that sounds sick! (no pun intended). are you already enrolled in UCLA?
    @smiley, thank you darling. XO.
    @SMC, i have heard about those saying dental has a depressing life, well i currently am defying odds, and I'm sure I will do the same then. I plan on giving a lot of my money away rather than keeping it and spending it on BMW's and new clothes.
  • AndrizzleAndrizzle Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    before coming to a UC, a lot of people assume they're going to be making close to a six figure salary as soon as they graduate, but that usually wont happen - even with a law or medical degree. especially in this economy and with continuing budget cuts, the price of college is going up while the value of a degree is going down. i have a lot of friends who just graduated last year with engineering, law, and other "high paying" degrees. some (not all) are having a hard time finding jobs, and those who do have jobs are in debt and have mountains of loans to pay off, and their salary expectancy is not what they thought they'd be making. if you don't believe me now, you'll see it IF you get into ucla, or some other uc. im not saying you're doomed when you graduate, but the it's definitely a lot harder to find a job now than it was 10 years ago
    Andrizzle wrote:
    before coming to a UC, a lot of people assume they're going to be making close to a six figure salary as soon as they graduate, but that usually won't happen - even with a law or medical degree. especially in this economy and with continuing budget cuts, the price of college is going up while the value of a degree is going down. i have a lot of friends who just graduated last year with engineering, law, and other "high paying" degrees. some (not all) are having a hard time finding jobs, and those who do have jobs are in debt and have mountains of loans to pay off, and their salary expectancy is not what they thought they'd be making. if you don't believe me now, you'll see it IF you get into ucla, or some other uc. im not saying you're doomed when you graduate, but the it's definitely a lot harder to find a job now than it was 10 years ago

http://static.bbmp3.com/smilies/jay2.gif
  • jaynamijaynami Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    LOL why so mad for? Because I'm not giving you the support you think you deserve? Its funny how offended you got considering most of your comments on CC share no contribution to the topic either and are douchbaggery at its finest.

Thanks, I hope I can "fly" off a cliff too :) I'll teach you when I get it down!
    kay exaggerator.

tinkareakturs.
  • darksaber91darksaber91 - Posts: 109 Junior Member
    How would you define "successful"? High starting/lifetime salary (80K, 100k, 120k)? Chances of employment and retaining a good job? etc.
  • statmanaggiestatmanaggie Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    @Andrizzle ...excellent response (#26). I've worked retail jobs for less than $10 and hour along with people who have degrees in many fields. Times are very, very different and scary. Social norms from the past are no longer applicable to today's world. Even with a degree, things are tough and are going to get tougher.

A few days ago, I read this very interesting and eye-opening article here in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper...

Lean times force many Bay Area 'boomerang kids' to return home as adults - San Jose Mercury News
This discussion has been closed.