Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances for CA in-state tuition?

norcaljoganorcaljoga Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited July 2011 in UC Transfers
So here is the deal, my parents moved out of California back in 2006 (I was a junior is hs). I did not move with my parents, I stayed in CA with an older brother (legal guardian), where I graduated from high school (2007), and where I also graduated from community college (spring 2010). I transferred to UCI in the fall of 2010, but dropped out due to financial difficulties. After desperately looking for a job in CA for over a month, I decided to spend some time with my parents in AR, where they had moved to. I found a job relatively easy in AR (been working since October of 2010 to present). So I re-apply to UC last november, got into UCSB and SIRed to it. Back in April, UCSB considered me a Cali resident, so they offered me a good financial aid package. *After submitting my Statement of Legal Residency, UCSB decides that I no longer quialify for instate tuition for the fact I reported my 2010 tax income in the state of AR (for the months of Oct-Dec). I found it hard to get employed in CA when I dropped ouy of UCI, so I had no choice but to move in with parents temporarily for financial support. I did not plan on staying in AR for so long, unfortunately I found an okay job. In the submmitted Statement of Legal Residency, however; I did state my parents' address as both, my permanent and current address because at that time my brother in CA got his house forclosed and did not think it was safe to have mail sent to that address anymore. Out of state tuition is completely out of my reach. I don't know about paying over $53 ,000 a yeat, and I don't know either about signing a $37,000 student loan. I don't see myself attending UCSB in the fall if Im not granted instate tuition. I have an appointment with UCSB fin aid soon and I was wondering if I have good arguments to fight for instate tuition, what are my chances for instate tuition?
Any comment will be appreciated!
Post edited by norcaljoga on

Replies to: What are my chances for CA in-state tuition?

  • sirinyasirinya Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    If you spent three out of your four years at a CA public high school, you are eligible for in-state tuition through AB 540. The New Partnership Foundation Scholarly Research on Undocumented Students; Information for AB540 Students, Families and Advisors

    It is primarily intended to enable undocumented students to pay in-state tuition.

    However, AB 540 works for folks like you too! It worked for me -- I was able to leverage AB 540 to get the in-state rate to attend summer school in California while I was completing my BA in Massachusetts, and to get the in-state rate for graduate school at UCLA (since I lived in DC post-BA.)

    You'll have to file special paperwork.

    Check out this link for more information: UC Tuition Exemption for California High School Students, Office of the Registrar

    You should have to file an affidavit to validate that you're a graduate of a CA public high school.
  • Ryan2136Ryan2136 - Posts: 396 Member
    Are you illegal? if you are, you get in state tuition
  • sirinyasirinya Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Ryan2136: You clearly misunderstood my post. ALL Californians who spent three out of four years at a CA public high school and graduated from a CA public high school are eligible for in-state tuition at a California public institution of higher learning, regardless of their immigration status.
  • ealarcon1991ealarcon1991 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I Agree with Sirinya, u qualify for AB 540 as long as u graduated in CA and u did 3 years of HS there too, no matter how many different HS u attended. I did the same, you will just have to get an official transcript of ur HS saying the date of graduation and the years u attended. and thats it. The application is not hard either. you just check 2 boxes and sign =]

    @Ryan - You should do research before you post as to not seem ignorant... just saying. Anyone, legal or illegal, who meets the prereqs i posted above qualifies.
This discussion has been closed.