Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

California "Dream Act" approved for illegal immigrants

Replies to: California "Dream Act" approved for illegal immigrants

• RigolettoRigoletto Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @ Mitch

Oh wow. I thought you were only joking/spewing out random BS. What do they teach the children there? I remembering reciting the first 10 or 15 presidents in second grade...
  • IndieRockNRollIndieRockNRoll Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    "Cali is already in a budget crisis and they shouldn't be here in the first place. "

"they shouldn't be here in the first place?" Who are you to say who should and should not be here? That is the entire problem. Those who believe they can pick and choose who should and shouldn't be here make this mess. People in my city complain that there are no jobs whatsoever to be found but many immigrants come and start working immediately in the fields. So it's okay when they're picking your strawberries right? But how dare they take YOUR college money?

Instead of complaining about people taking anything away from you, you earn it in your own way. These type of things are considered because they compensate to help illegal immigrants succeed in at least one way or another. You have many ways to succeed. I worked my butt off at community college and now have a full ride. I have no reason to complain that others want to help out those who inherently have less opportunities than me and if you tried hard enough, you wouldn't have to either. Those complaining about out of state tuition don't understand that you do have opportunities in your own state. California may have many of the best universities in the world, but there are a lot of people here and if you're trying to get in state tuition, are your parents paying CA taxes? I wouldn't stand here and say that you don't belong here because you're not a California citizen. And you think becoming a CA Citizen is hard? Try becoming a US citizen. Just because it's difficult for someone to gain US citizenship, doesn't mean they don't belong here. Ethnocentrism is sickening.
  • Ryan2136Ryan2136 - Posts: 396 Member
    indie's mentality is exactly why our state is broke.
    Oh really? Our entire state is broke because of illegal immigrants? Grow up.
    @ Indie

You would be the last one to care whether the state is broke or not because of them. Obviously the state's budget is the last thing you have in mind.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/immigrationnaturalizatio/a/caillegals.htm
    I agree SMCGuy. You make a good point. There definitely should be no extremes to either one side. Oh and Seriously Ryan? An "about" article? I bet this was the first time you googled the role illegal immigration plays in the budget crisis. Also, don't make rash generalizations and assumptions about my personal character on an online and impersonal forum. What is leading you to believe I "obviously" don't care about the budget crisis? Uh, hello. I want to be a high school English teacher when I graduate from UCLA. I'm also a tax payer. Why the hell would I not care? How about you just drop out of school, make yourself more useful, and become part of the state's "cheap labor"?
  • WHATDAMCFUDGEWHATDAMCFUDGE Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    Wow, some of the previous posters have no clue as to what the bill that was passed said. It is no money-drain, for it is for private loans and what have not.
    If you're going to go bashing on us undocumented aliens, for that is what I am, than why don't you ask yourselves who put the country into the crisis that it is in today? Certainly not a few million modest people, but rather, greedy upper class rich people.
    I had no say when I was brought over to the U.S. from Mexico, so do you think it is fair that I have to go looking everywhere for some finaid when I am more qualified than a majority of the people in my state? People take for granted what is freely offered to them, while those of us who know how hard it is to get access to even some money are seen as monetary black holes.

Sent from my Desire HD using CC App
  • CaliMadeCaliMade Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    A main reason why California is broke IS from illegals you need to wake up!
  • natjannatjan Registered User Posts: 263 Junior Member
    It's offensive enough that undocumented people are referred to as illegals. I agree wholeheartedly with Indie and SMC Guy.
    Undocumented workers are used as scapegoats.
    I think a better term for the eight to eleven million persons illegally in the U.S. is “illegal aliens” or maybe “illegal migrants.” They are not “undocumented” nor are they really “immigrants.” Even know the term “illegal immigrant” is, by definition, incorrect for its usage, but at least “illegal” imparts the law-breaking aspect.

The dictionary definition of the word “immigrant” is “a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.” This meaning the term “immigrant” does not always apply to transient illegal aliens who frequently cross the porous U.S. border. Even though common usage of “immigrant” has been broadly applied to those illegally in the U.S., such usage in my opinion is inaccurate.

However, the term “undocumented” is also a very inaccurate term only used by the liberals and mass media to sway the public in favor of special interest groups. There not “undocumented” in the first or last place, because they never were. Many never even had a document to lose. Many just over-stayed their visa. When speaking of legal terminology, it has always used the words “aliens” and “foreign nationals.” President Bush and House Minority Leader Richard Gephardt pander to the extent they call illegal aliens “citizens.” If you think about it, the use of euphemistic terms other than “illegal aliens” only clouds the reality of the situation.
  • popeyoung5popeyoung5 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    Go ahead and vote for OBAMA again. He will continue to his social agenda. In 4 years, strapped with debt, you can be unemployed with no job. But hey, Your parents educated many criminals that will get your job. Not to worry, You will have the next 60 years to pay for Obama's "social change" Life is about choices, enjoy! You will feel the pain when it's your money and not daddy's
  • poserbruinposerbruin Registered User Posts: 349 Member
    Ryan2136 wrote:
    I think a better term for the eight to eleven million persons illegally in the U.S. is “illegal aliens” or maybe “illegal migrants.” They are not “undocumented” nor are they really “immigrants.” Even know the term “illegal immigrant” is, by definition, incorrect for its usage, but at least “illegal” imparts the law-breaking aspect.

The dictionary definition of the word “immigrant” is “a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.” This meaning the term “immigrant” does not always apply to transient illegal aliens who frequently cross the porous U.S. border. Even though common usage of “immigrant” has been broadly applied to those illegally in the U.S., such usage in my opinion is inaccurate.

However, the term “undocumented” is also a very inaccurate term only used by the liberals and mass media to sway the public in favor of special interest groups. There not “undocumented” in the first or last place, because they never were. Many never even had a document to lose. Many just over-stayed their visa. When speaking of legal terminology, it has always used the words “aliens” and “foreign nationals.” President Bush and House Minority Leader Richard Gephardt pander to the extent they call illegal aliens “citizens.” If you think about it, the use of euphemistic terms other than “illegal aliens” only clouds the reality of the situation.

My spidey plagiarism sense is tingling....

"Illegal Migrants" not "Undoucumented Aliens" - Stormfront

Now instead of linking to an about.com article in lieu of an argument, you copy and paste a rant from a white supremacist forum and attempt to pass it off as your own. Didn't your teachers ever tell you to cite your sources? You're a real winner, kid.
  • UCkittychenUCkittychen Registered User Posts: 2,175 Senior Member
    cool i guess.
  • CaliMadeCaliMade Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    Being called an illegal is offensive...Get out of here with that BS.
    and labeling a rapist a rapist is offensive. criminals don't deserve "friendlier" labels.
This discussion has been closed.