Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
larinagalarinaga Registered User Posts: 556 Member
edited August 2011 in UC Transfers
I haven't been able to find a straight answer on this anywhere.

Can transfer students take unlimited community college units and still be considered junior applicants?

As far as I know, a student cannot go above the unit cap with 4-year university credits AND community college credits combined. I just want to be reassured.

I attended a vocational/trade school and earned 30 credits there, but I don't believe those credits apply towards the unit cap.
Post edited by larinaga on

Replies to: Unit cap

  • iTransferiTransfer Registered User Posts: 857 Member
    Yes, it is unlimited unless you took classes at a 4 year school.

    However the max you can transfer is 70 semester units/105 quarter units, anything after that will just get subject credit and will not count towards the units required to graduate.
  • AskMsSunAskMsSun - Posts: 1,767 Senior Member
    If you have only attended CCC, then you may take unlimited units. iTransfer is correct in that there is a cap for graduation credit; an example is if you have 110 semester units, 70 semester units will count toward graduation but you will get "subject credit" for all 110 units.

    If the vocational/trade school you attended is an accredited 4-year degree granting school, then you are subject to the "combined" unit cap regardless of whether the units are transferable. However, most UCs will waive the cap if you enroll in community college. For specific restrictions, see http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/files/ETS10_TransferQA_final.pdf, page 14 under "What are the unit limitations or restrictions on admission for students who have attended a four-year institution before enrolling at a California community college? Do any majors or schools on your campus interpret this policy differently?"
  • larinagalarinaga Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    @ AskMsSun: As far as I know, the school is a for-profit school. It does hand out 4 year Bachelor degrees, but the school is NOT regionally accredited. The only accreditation it has is from NASM (National Association of Schools of Music). Would this keep me safe from the combination of units?
  • AskMsSunAskMsSun - Posts: 1,767 Senior Member
    There are too many variables for me to give you an accurate answer. If you are currently enrolled at a CCC and will be going to a UC from the CCC, then the cap does not apply to you (except for UCSD, UCSB, and UCSC where you become ineligible to transfer if you exceed 90 semester units from a combination of 2- and 4-year coursework).
  • larinagalarinaga Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    I'm really only interested in UCSB's policy on this. It's my dream school.

    "UCSB: The College of Letters and Science does not accept applications from students who have earned 135 or more TRANSFERABLE quarter (90 or more semester) units from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions." I capitalized the word "transferable" to point this out.

    I guess that answers my question. The credits I took at Musicians Institute do NOT transfer, and as such, I'm exempt from exceeding the unit cap.
  • AskMsSunAskMsSun - Posts: 1,767 Senior Member
    Sounds good. My best wishes to you and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.