Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Questions about retaking a class at a different CC

theresistancetheresistance Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
edited September 2011 in UC Transfers
Its been a while since I last posted, and I have switched my major 93473564 times over the past year. Eventually I decided to pursue Computer Science. See the thing is, about a year ago, I was shooting for Bio. Unfortunately I did horrible and ended up getting a D in General Chem 1. I have not yet applied for academic renewal, nor have I retaken the class for a higher grade. Here is my situation, I would appreciate any insight.

In order to transfer to a UC as a CompSci major, I need either 2 semesters of General Chem or 2 semesters of Physics for Engineers. I took an Intro Physics for Engineers course and absolutely hated it. It was also pretty challenging, and I can't imagine doing all the hardcore **** later on. So I decided that next semester I will retake chemistry. While the material was difficult, I was doing fine for the most part. The final quarter got absolutely chaotic because I was lazy/unmotivated in school, and I was also working a lot of hours at the time. Unfortunately the combination of being unmotivated/overworked did not pull me through the class.

Anyway, I want to retake Gen Chem 1. However, at my school, its one of the most impacted subjects (since all the bio science/engineering majors have to take it). I may have to take this class at a different community college. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to retake at my current school, but I still want to have a "cushion" in case I need to go elsewhere. Question #1: Will UC's care if I take 1 class at a different CC? As long as the credits transfer over, I should be fine right?

Last question: Did I shoot myself in the foot by getting a D in a pre-req class? I know I'll get a better score the second time around because I got my **** together and I'm doing well in school now, but I can't help but feel pessimistic that I won't get accepted anywhere because of that one class. Thanks for all the help.
Post edited by theresistance on

Replies to: Questions about retaking a class at a different CC

• xViralxViral Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    #1. Yeah it's fine to take the class at a different CC. But I'm pretty sure that there's some paper work involved if you want to retake the class at your own CC ( I would look into this if you are planning to take the same class you already took, at a different CC). At my cc, they require you to submit some sort of a form if you want to retake a class and get a higher grade.

#2. Fortunately for you UCs take the higher grade of whichever class you got a D in/ failed. Although they do show up on your transcript, they do not factor in the D or F in your GPA as long as your retaken class has a higher grade. For example if you got an A your second time in general chem 1, the UCs would factor that into your gpa and not the D.

But this will matter if you plan on going to grad/law/biz school, so yeah don't do it too many times.
  • sparkyboysparkyboy Registered User Posts: 665 Member
    Cal's CS - no science required. Yayyyyyyy!!!
    Or UCSC, they also offer BA degree in CS. Average GPA acceptance to UCSC's BA in CS is 3.25 I believe ;)
  • theresistancetheresistance Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    @xViral thank you so much! That's good to know.

@sparkyboy. Well, my GPA is a solid 3.0, so Cal is no longer an option. I still have a ton of technical courses to take, but I'm hoping my GPA either remains the same or improves. I'm shooting for mid-tier UC's like Davis/Irvine/SC, and I'm more interested in the B.S. degree of Computer Science...
  • sparkyboysparkyboy Registered User Posts: 665 Member
    BS and BA makes no difference actually...
    And Chem is not really a pre-req. It's like a degree requirement. Science is actually not a pre-req for computer science, lol. So as long as you retake Chem and be able to explain your D, you should be fine :)
  • theresistancetheresistance Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Hmm from what I understand the BS has more technical courses. I actually really like CS, so I wouldn't mind taking more classes that would expand my knowledge on the subject. But we shall see, I still have a long way to go. Anyway, thanks for your help as well. I appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.