Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UCSB Economics & Accounting vs. Economics

bulls2012bulls2012 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
edited October 2011 in UC Transfers
For UCSB, I was wondering what major is more difficult to get admitted into, Economics & Accounting (formerly Business Economics) or Economics major?

Also wondering how many spots do they have available to transfers for these 2 majors? I noticed these are also pre-majors which generally means they are not limited by the amount of seats they have. If someone can clarify this for me, it would be great.
Post edited by bulls2012 on

Replies to: UCSB Economics & Accounting vs. Economics

• mattnchicomattnchico Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Are you a freshman trying to get INTO UCSB or do you have some GE under your "belt"? Your questions are somewhat confusing. Did you like economics in high school? I believe Econ and accounting are very important to business. For this question though, I would contact the specific school in question.

Best of luck.

-Matt
  • bulls2012bulls2012 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Oops my fault, I assumed everyone was a transfer here. But yeah, I am CCC student transferring this year. General economics major has less requirements than Econ & Accounting, so my question remains which one is more difficult to get into through general admission as a transfer student.
  • mattnchicomattnchico Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I would contact Admissions at the school itself in deciding the difficulties of each option, whether you go with straight economics or a economics/accounting major. They both sound challenging to me. I highly recommend accounting. Economics tends to be a lot of "practical" theory of how to allocate scarce resources, whereas accounting is generally thought of as the "language of business". I would imagine that both options are great career choices and you may find it best to sit down and speak with a major adviser at the UCSB campus admission itself. Hope this helps.

-Matt
  • JiggalowwJiggaloww Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    @bulls2012 Well the major is in the same department, as long as you do the pre-reqs your good and will more than likely be admitted into the major. With Economics you need two calc classes but with econ/acct you need acct classes it all comes down to preference because you can always switch between the 3 econ majors within ucsb since they only vary by a cpl classes. I would apply as the major you have the classes completed for already and if you did a TAG then theres no need to worry.
This discussion has been closed.