Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Focus on Associate Degree and Majors Prereqs or General Ed and Major Prereqs

suprafreshkidsuprafreshkid Registered User Posts: 320 Member
edited August 2012 in UC Transfers
I am applying as an applied mathematics major for the class of 2016 and I was wondering if not having two or three general education courses will screw me over for all the UCs except Merced and Riverside. Some colleges I want to go to overseas want an associate degree to make up for my bad high school streak.
Post edited by suprafreshkid on

Replies to: Focus on Associate Degree and Majors Prereqs or General Ed and Major Prereqs

• AskMsSunAskMsSun - Posts: 1,767 Senior Member
    It depends on how competitive you are as an applicant. If you are great, some UCs will overlook the lack of GE. If you are not, then that could be a reason for not accepting you.
  • LAforlifeLAforlife Registered User Posts: 1,102 Senior Member
    Are you saying that you won't have IGETC completed then?
  • suprafreshkidsuprafreshkid Registered User Posts: 320 Member
    I won't have two or three courses

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using CC
  • LAforlifeLAforlife Registered User Posts: 1,102 Senior Member
    Well IGETC completion is VERY important for UCs. Only specific majors do not recommend it (I doubt your is one). Not having it done would greatly lower chances. If going to a UC is your goal, I would strongly recommend completing IGETC (and your pre-reqs as well of course) Also, what's your GPA and what schools do you plan to apply to?
  • xelinkxelink Registered User Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    you're a math major...

make a weighted outcome model and forecast likely outcomes based on varying scenarios and go for whatever has the highest expected value.
  • Shannon13Shannon13 Registered User Posts: 553 Member
    What classes are you missing? You could always take a self paced online class through one of the UCs (and do most of the work during breaks in school if it's still too much work to do during the normal semester).
This discussion has been closed.