Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Question about retaked courses and failed grades.

ssbbsgssbbsg Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited August 2012 in UC Transfers
So I'm planning on submitting my Tag for UCI tomorrow, but I don't know how the tag will calculate my GPA

So I got a D for Writing 1 and an F for Poli Sci 1, but I retook those courses and got A's in both.

Will it help if I explained why I got those grades due to personal issues?

The other courses I failed are non UC/CSU transfarable course which are intro to Pharmacy and Pharmacy calculations. These course have nothing to due with Universities or grad school, but rather they are classes to take in order to become a Pharmacy Technician. Instead of retaking these two courses, I took the PTCE and pass, and now I'm a certified Pharmacy Technician. I don't wish to retake these courses because I'm alrready certified, but I can't do an academic renewel until next Spring due to the 2 year wait.

Will this affect my chances of getting into UCI?
Post edited by ssbbsg on

Replies to: Question about retaked courses and failed grades.

• mermakermermaker Registered User Posts: 949 Member
    If the courses are not UC transferable, then they won't even look at them.
  • emprexemprex Registered User Posts: 721 Member
    On the TAG app, if you retook the classes, it says so in red letters. They won't care as long as you did well on the 2nd try which you did. You should probably explain the failed pharm classes just incase. It's true that they really only look at your UC gpa but if there is a big enough discrepancy, it could be concerning. Better to explain than not.
  • xelinkxelink Registered User Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    they don't care.

I failed calc 2 hardcore and repeated. I got in at every UC I applied(Irvine, SB, Riverside)
This discussion has been closed.