Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do you think of your community college experience so far?

2»

Replies to: What do you think of your community college experience so far?

• CalDudCalDud Registered User Posts: 1,753 Senior Member
    @Shannon13: Actually, I was right the first time. Sort of. It varies by which program you're entering. For instance, the program I want to enter is Biostatistics:

From UC Berkeley:
    GPA Scores_________________

A GPA is computed for courses completed after the first two years of work toward the baccalaureate. A second GPA is computed for any graduate work completed.

Successful applicants have:

for MA: an undergraduate (junior & senior year) GPA of at least 3.5

for PhD: a graduate GPA of 3.8

and, have a distinguished record of achievement in mathematics and statistics coursework

Frequently Asked Questions
  • MrHerbertMrHerbert Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I'm really loving my college so far, and I'm going to be quite sad to leave after such a short time. Yeah, there are slackers and crazies here who don't seem to care about learning or transferring. But there is an equally large group of people who are just as motivated and determined as I am.

The really cool thing is that many of them are what I like to call "real grown-ups"-- people who have been out in the work force full-time, have kids and mortgages, and still want to make time for their education. Real grown-ups, knowingly or unknowingly, give me a lot of perspective. They have life stories that I just wouldn't get to hear if I was only in a group of eighteen-to-twenty-somethings.

Yeah the parking sucks, and the budget is getting cut more every day. But the campus is beautiful, I have a nice work-study job, the classes are fairly small, and it's CHEAP! I would ask why more people don't opt for community college, but then there would be less community college space for the rest of us. :p
  • Daniel1111Daniel1111 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Great post! I am an international student that entered a CUNY CC to save money for a good four year university and was amazed by what I found. When I first arrived I was full of arrogance in my mind, thinking, "oh well this education is going to be crappy, the people here are immature the professors most probably don't care about doing a good work".

However ,what I found was that some of the most mature and intelligent individuals I met in my life where sitting right next to me in class. I met people from all over the world, some working full time jobs ,raising children and getting straight A's. I still remember a girl who used to work in a beauty saloon, someone you would think is not very bright and educated, but for my amazement she was a literal genius with a 4.0 GPA and she completely burned me three times in an honors philosophy class debate (and I have a paper published in a respected Philosophy paper). Yes she doesn't speak like the queen of Britain, she doesn't wear prada but she is so incredible smart and hardworking that I think she deserves the place of at least a large number of Ivy league students who really don't deserve to be.

More else, while some classes are really a joke, I can say that some of the other classes where just mind blowing in the sense that they really required me to put my whole brain on the table. Whats more, there are free Ivy league classes online that I watch, recorded from actual IVY league professors during their lectures, and the level of difficulty was exactly the same to some of my classes!. I remember checking out UCLA Micro Biology on you tube to compare it with my class and it was the same content!.
    Also for some honors classes we used books that are used in Harvard.

Also, may of my professors hold degrees in really good universities, including Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Amherst, Loyola Law ,Cornell,Carnegie Mellon and others!. Another point to add is that the student/professor ratio is very small so you can really get into smart discussions where you learn a lot and expand critical thinking and logic abilities. On the other side you have lectures with numbers around 300-500 students in Stanford,Harvard,MIT or other "prestige" universities. Most of the people I know are not thinking in parties ,in fact i only saw one or two announcements for parties the whole time I have been attending this school.

I also meet this girl that seemed very elitist to me, she most likely was going to transfer to UCLA and she told us the she had a brother stududing at Columbia SEAS,she lived in a nice neighborhood (not sure why she attented a CC) but when I checked her resume on the honors meeting were we were 'chancing' our selves she had really strugled with some classes here. My point is that most people think everything in a community college is easy and I have to agree that some classes may be really bad in terms of education but other classes like my Bio class are not different than Ivy or Stanford like institutions based on the syllabus I have read from those universities and the public YouTube videos these upload. Finally last semester many graduates transferred to Tier one institutions including some Ivy's. I strongly believe that some CC's are better than many private institutions, may be not in aspects like campus,dinning,networking, etc. But in education, opportunities, diversity and more.
2»
This discussion has been closed.