Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Transfer after transferring?

lecraiglecraig Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited November 2012 in UC Transfers
Hi all. I am completing the first semester of my junior year, and my first semester at a 4-year university. I went to community college for two years, and was excited to start life at a "real school." The problem is...I don't like this new university. In fact, I hate it (except for a few friends I've made). I feel like I've made an awful mistake in coming here. I don't feel at home, but, even worse, I don't feel challenged...at all. Isn't college supposed to be some of the most introspective years of your life? Well, I'm not getting any of that.

So my question is this. Is it advisable or even possible to transfer after I've already transferred? To put it in perspective, I will not be done with my degree in 2 years (because so few of my classes from CC transferred correctly), so next year will basically be a continuation of my junior year. I live in California, and am in the CSU system. I am thinking of trying to go to the UC system. Any thoughts? Advice? Words of encouragement? Thank you in advance.
Post edited by lecraig on

Replies to: Transfer after transferring?

  • Ramfan661Ramfan661 Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    What school are you currently attending?
  • cinnabon1234cinnabon1234 Registered User Posts: 452 Member
    CSU --> UC System = Almost no chance of getting in.

    Don't mean to be harsh towards you, but it's the truth. You can always apply and see but just don't expect to be accepted.
  • Shannon13Shannon13 Registered User Posts: 553 Member
    you will be considered a senior transfer to the UCs, so you have absolutely no chance of getting in.

    just stick it out. it's not that bad.
  • HopingToXferHopingToXfer Registered User Posts: 678 Member
    unless you are an engineering transfer to davis, there's no unit limit :)
  • dilapidatedminddilapidatedmind Registered User Posts: 808 Member
    Every UC has their own separate policy regarding four year transfers. If you achieve senior standing, usually 80-90 semester units then your application WILL NOT be accepted at some of the UCs, which are UCLA, UCSD, UCSC, UCSB, and UC Berkeley (except Haas). Others review applications from those in senior standing on a case by case basis UCD, UCR, and UC Merced require special approval by the dean of admissions if you reach senior standing. UCI is the only UC that has no unit limitation for transfers.

    Also, it seems like GEs/major pre-reqs could be tricky having transferred twice. The GE requirements for CSUs and UCs are slightly different as are what classes are transferable, so you might want to investigate that further. The UCs that require special review for admission are going to look at something like this to see if you're going to graduate in a reasonable amount of time. A big problem for direct four year transfers is that there's no direct articulation for courses between them and the UCs, this includes CSUs. So, it's rare that all of your CSU units will transfer. If you were planning to use some of those units for major pre-req/GE requirements and they end up non-transferable, it's going to hurt you during the admission process. Also, you may want to go back and see if any of the CC courses you took were only CSU transferable vs UC transferable. If you have any CSU transferable CC courses, those won't count for pre-reqs/GEs and won't count in your transferable GPA.

    That's actually not accurate. UCD's College of Engineering is the only department that DOESN'T have a unit limitation. UCD's College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, College of Letters and Sciences, and College of Biological Sciences all require special review for those that exceed 80 UC transferable units if they don't come directly from a CC.
  • Shannon13Shannon13 Registered User Posts: 553 Member
    @hopingtoxer- except for UCI, none of the UCs accept senior transfers. The OP spent 2 years at a jc and is currently full time as a junior at a 4 year. that means they will definitely be considered a senior transfer.
  • HopingToXferHopingToXfer Registered User Posts: 678 Member
    thats why i said engineering transfer...
  • dilapidatedminddilapidatedmind Registered User Posts: 808 Member
    ^^^You said "unless you're an engineering transfer to Davis, there's no unit limitation."

    The way you phrased it you implied that there IS a unit limitation for engineering majors and ISN'T for all other majors at UCD. That's actually the reverse of their policies.

    This is their official policy:
    Applications from students who have completed 80 or more transferable semester units (120 or more transferable quarter units) of combined baccalaureate institution and community college coursework are subject to review by the deans of the Colleges of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Letters and Science and Biological Sciences. Units earned through AP or IB examinations are counted separately for this purpose; AP and IB units do not put applicants at risk of being denied admission or of having an admissions decision delayed due to a dean’s review. Applicants subject to a dean’s review will be admitted if the assessment is that the student is making good progress toward the baccalaureate degree and can complete the degree within the college’s maximum unit limit. All transfer applications to the College of Engineering undergo careful screening to assess the level of academic preparation for the major; the College of Engineering does not conduct a separate review of applicants who have 80 or more transferable semester units (120 or more transferable quarter units) of combined baccalaureate institution/community college work. Students who are academically well academically prepared for the majors will be admitted to the College of Engineering even if they exceed the 80/120-unit standard.
This discussion has been closed.