Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any of you humanities majors worried about job prospects after graduation?

Replies to: Any of you humanities majors worried about job prospects after graduation?

• CollegeDropout1CollegeDropout1 Registered User Posts: 987 Member
    @Cayton How sure are you? I thought history was impacted. Is the whole you can't change into impacted majors thing not set in stone?
  • sonic23sonic23 Registered User Posts: 652 Member
    @Collegedropout1 i come from a low income family an. Am the first in my family to attend college.i am also and married together my spouse and I make under 50K a year which isnt much. My entire family expected me to major in finance or some kind of major that led to jobs in banking or business administration. Including my spouse, I chose to major in what I love, and i must admit I feel pressured to change my major,or double major in something. However I know if I wouldnt have majored in History it would have been a let down to myself. I rather live a stable but somewhat humble life style than be wealthy and hate my job.

Like cayton said see if you can still major or at least minor in History if thats what you really want
  • CaytonCayton Registered User Posts: 3,064 Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    @ivelosthope‌

I don't think so, unfortunately. Those people who can major in econ are, as you said, admitted into pre-econ. Someone who's completed all the pre-reqs for econ can never major in it because they're not "pre-econ" and never can be. So, probably not.

@CollegeDropout1‌

http://web1.assist.org/web-assist/report.do?agreement=aa&reportPath=REPORT_2&reportScript=Rep2.pl&event=19&dir=2&sia=SMCC&ria=UCLA&ia=UCLA&oia=SMCC&aay=13-14&ay=13-14&dora=HIST

The assist.org page for the history major at UCLA doesn't state that you can't switch into it and that it's limited to those who were originally admitted to it, whereas the assist.org pages for UCLA's political science, sociology, biz econ, and econ majors explicitly state this. Assist.org is highly reliable, so if it doesn't say that history can't be switch into or double-majored, then it is almost certainly correct.

http://www.history.ucla.edu/academics/undergraduate/the-program

UCLA's own history department website says nothing about the major being restricted to those who were originally admitted into it. Furthermore, on one of its other pages, it states that you can double major in it. I can provide the link to that page if you wish.

If your passion is in history, I strongly recommend for you to double major in it and a STEM field if you want to maximize your employability and to make the most of your time in college. I'd hate to see someone study something in college only because it will make good money for them and not because they love it. There's nothing wrong, however, with wanting to study a STEM field for employment reasons, but you should be able to study what makes you happy, too.

I'm very, very certain that you can double major in history. At the very least, it's worth checking out when you go to UCLA's new student orientation in the summer or in the fall quarter.
    @cayton yea in counting on that i have a friend who graduated from UCLA with a chicano studies degree,, everyone of my other friends judged him like crazy(they all majored in health administration and business at cal states) yet my friend who ia a UCLA grad is the only one with a good job. Nothing related to Chicano studies though, might have just gotten lucky though
    @Cayton thanks, you're awesome! I really had no idea how misinformed I was.

@sonic23 Would you mind telling us what type of job he has.
    @CollegeDropout1‌

I'm glad I could help.

But I must ask, have you completed the pre-reqs for history at UCLA?
    @Cayton Actually, I did complete two of them. I could just complete the other two during the summer
    @Cayton Actually, I am done with the pre-reqs ! I forgot about my ap credit!
    @CollegeDropout1‌

Are you going to take summer classes at UCLA or will you do this through your community college?
    Well, I will probably attend summer school at my CC this summer anyway!
    @CollegeDropout1‌

Then you're good to go! Just report the AP scores, and soon, if you can. Did you report them on your application and all that stuff?

Whether or not you can use that AP credit, you're in a good position to start the history major. If you can't use the AP credit for whatever reason, just take the necessary history class(es) in the summer and you'll be good to go!
    Hes some kind of banker, lol im not sure what his position is though
    Also my boss was a History major and he makes good money somewhere around 6 figures...but thats because he eventually moved up.
    @Cayton, yup I reported everything I'm good to go. I know taking 9 ap exams my senior year of high school would one day help me!

@sonic23 I'm so jealous of them!
    @CollegeDropout1‌

UCLA has a great history program. I've heard good things about Teofilo Ruiz in particular, one of the history faculty. He's a recipient of the National Humanities Medal, which is bestowed upon those "deepened the nation's understanding of the humanities, broadened our citizens' engagement with the humanities, or helped preserve and expand Americans' access to important resources in the humanities." It's conferred by the President of the United States.
  • ZalronsZalrons Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    edited April 2014
    I'm a humanities major (Anthro) and I'm pre-law. I've been prepping for the LSAT for well over a year now so I'm not too worried about my prospects unless my GPA drastically drops at UCLA. I'm applying to most of the t14 but focusing on CLS, NYU, and Cornell. Their employment rates at NLJ 250 all range from around 50-65% so it's still a huge gamble that somewhat worries me no matter how confident I am.

Unlike Matt420, I don't believe you should simply trust that things can and will work in your favor. Statistically speaking, you absolutely shouldn't expect things to work in your favor pertaining to the legal field or even law school for that matter. There are plenty of t14 2L's and 3L's that rank below median in their sections that can't find a job. I'm not telling you this to scare you off I simply believe that if you're contemplating taking on 100K+ in debt, you should proceed with extreme caution. Make sure this is what you want to do.

And if you're serious about getting a prestigious job or clerkship, you're going to want to land t14 (excluding Georgetown.) Depending on your GPA and LSAT, you may or may not get any money. Average COL for a t14 at sticker is now around 250K before factoring in debt. If you land big law (160k p/y), you're looking at 4+ years of paying back the loans. The average span of ones big law career is a whopping 3 years. Of course, if you don't land biglaw, you're going to be buried with debt for decades.

If you decide you want to pursue law I suggest you prep for the LSAT and shoot for 180. And keep your GPA up. MLSAT has the best prep books IMO. Focus on logic games. This is the section everyone should dominate and get -0 nearly every time. Drill the books and take as many prep tests as you can.
This discussion has been closed.