Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transferring then hopefully double major/switch major?

timothyaytimothyay Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
I started going to college in fall semester at my local CCC and after my first year I ended up with a transferrable gpa of 3.52. By fall when I apply I would have 36 units due to the transferrable classes and AP credit. My plan is to apply to either UCSC UCSD or UCI as a sociology major because they have the least amount of requirements for the major, and then when I arrive to one of the colleges, I was hoping to double major or switch out of sociology to pursue computer science. I am not applying to computer science at first because by the end of spring 2017, I would have not completed the second calculus class needed as a prerequisite. Is this a possible thing to do because I feel like if I stay another year for a class or two will be a waste of my time doing something else. Thank you in advance for the help

Replies to: Transferring then hopefully double major/switch major?

• timothyaytimothyay Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I should also point out that while I would not have the second calculus course finished, I would have all the other necessary prerequisites finished for the major
  • BurdenedBurdened Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    Certain universities will allow you to switch. From what I know of CSCI, UCSD is hyper competitive and may or may not allow you to switch. I believe Irvine doesn't allow change of major after transfer admission. If you want to do CSCI, you should apply CSCI. To be honest with a 3.5 you will have a decent chance of admission even without all of the prerequisites done.
This discussion has been closed.