Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why are 4.0s rejected?

2»

Replies to: Why are 4.0s rejected?

• lenocturnelenocturne Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    @wanderingmind I wouldn't be so sure that this is the only explanation. It doesn't explain why I wasn't excepted to my major last year (only as undeclared) with 4.0 transferable GPA, all required major prep done and a full time job in the field (what can show more passion than a rapid career growth WITHOUT a degree???) It doesn't explain why my friends got rejected from UCLA and UCB with stellar ECs and similar stats. Every application is different, and schools that use holistic approach in their admission process often look beyond ECs: background, family situation, etc.
    My cc advisor also shared that some UCs are going out of their ways to make money by accepting more out of state peeps. While they all say that priority is given to ccc students, there is very little transparency in this process. So I wouldn't be so certain that the lack of ECs is the only explanation.
  • Ohm888Ohm888 Forum Champion UC Transfers Posts: 1,430 Forum Champion
    I know sometimes TAG leads to higher qualified applicants getting rejected due to lack of space. I heard that was a big reason UCSD discontinued its TAG.
  • Zer0xfourDZer0xfourD Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @Ohm888 yep. My 4.0 friend who applied last year for CS got rejected from UCI, but got accepted into UCB. TAGs are definitely a factor.
  • otoribashiotoribashi Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    not sure if this applies to berkeley and UCLA, but ive heard that sometimes top 4.0 students get rejected from the lower schools because admissions think they'll get admitted to the more prestigious schools and not SIR with them. this prevents them from lowering their admit rate since they'll only accept people who have more of a chance of actually enrolling with them. perhaps the interest or fit just doesn't come across.
  • Ohm888Ohm888 Forum Champion UC Transfers Posts: 1,430 Forum Champion
    ^^ Yes, I know UCD does this to protect its yield.
2»
This discussion has been closed.