Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Questions for IGETC Section 2 (math)

GRstudent94GRstudent94 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hello I am trying to apply for anthropology / sociology for the fall 2018.

I will be completing 60 units by the fall 2017 (all major courses and IGETC (EXCEPT MATH).

I currently have about 3.91 GPA and I am aiming for USC , UCLA, UCB.

I'm planning to take the area 2 math course in 2018 spring since I'm not really confident in Math and I am already taking 16 units in 2017 fall.

Will this highly impact my admission for those schools?

Thank you.

Replies to: Questions for IGETC Section 2 (math)

• Ohm888Ohm888 Registered User Posts: 796 Member
    edited August 31
    You should really try for it in fall unless you have intermediate algebra with a letter grade. That was my situation. Even though Int Alg is not transferable they told me they liked seeing a math grade. I took the req math course in spring and got into Cal and UCLA, so it is doable. But i had that other math grade FWIW.
  • GRstudent94GRstudent94 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    How about in Winter?, So I can put in my grades when updating the application.
  • Ohm888Ohm888 Registered User Posts: 796 Member
    I would at least try for winter. You can email each UC the grade.
  • zettasyntaxzettasyntax Registered User Posts: 968 Member
    I applied to UCLA while having my transferable math (statistics) in-progress. I didn't get in that year. I had a 4.0 until math came along :P I was really worried about math too. I placed in intermediate algebra, but I didn't want to take that class because it wasn't transferable. I managed to convince the chair of the math department to let me take stats (which had intermediate algebra as a pre-req) by showing him that I had taken and aced several programming courses.

I tried again the next year and managed to get into UCLA as an anthropology major - as well as a bunch of other schools that rejected me the year before like USC, UCB, etc. I ultimately went with USC, but I'd definitely recommend getting in that math as early as possible. Winter sounds like a great idea if you have the time to take care of it then.
  • GRstudent94GRstudent94 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    thanks so much!