right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UC Davis Transfer Appeal 2020

IBkidonthestreetIBkidonthestreet 163 replies8 threads Junior Member
Hi. This is a discussion form to put your stats if you were denied and are planning to appeal.

These stats are for my boyfriend. So far he's been accepted into UCR, and a few CSUs.

DENIED
Major: Bioengineering
GPA: 3.8
TAG
Non-traditional student, Dreamer
EC: Club president for MESA, Biology, Alas con Futuro, College Ambassador
Strong essays
Regents

He was only missing one class to transfer. 3rd part of the Physics Engineering series.
29 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UC Davis Transfer Appeal 2020

• zekogmozekogmo 53 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Denied while being invited to Regents
    Major: Computer Engineering
    Gpa: 3.94
    · Reply · Share
  • jaescottjaescott 78 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @zekogmo That’s whack. Are either of you missing a prereq? I was denied and I have a 3.94 but am missing one prereq for EE.
    · Reply · Share
  • zekogmozekogmo 53 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @jaescott oh yeah I am missing chemistry for CE, that's probably why... but why would they invite me to regents lol
    · Reply · Share
  • IBkidonthestreetIBkidonthestreet 163 replies8 threads Junior Member
    @jaescott my bf is missing the last part of the physics series and that's it, but all of the other UCs allow you to finish the series once you transfer :/
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 16
    Yeah, I was missing their CS 30 class, and although I have taken UCSD’s CS prerequisite apparently it wasn’t similar enough. Guess they are really strict about prerequisites at UC Davis.
    edited April 16
    · Reply · Share
    @jaescott Was this your #1 school? I know this was his so he's saving face right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • hoshizorahoshizora 362 replies8 threads Member
    @jaescott my bf is missing the last part of the physics series and that's it, but all of the other UCs allow you to finish the series once you transfer :/

Mmm that's not necessarily true if you take a physics series UCs wan you to finish them at the CC because of the alignment of material. Notice on assist that usually physics classes are articulated as a combination of two or three classes to be fulfilled so if you go to a UC and take it, you may repeat some material or skip some material
    · Reply · Share
    @hoshizora Yeah, I recognize it's probably not the same policy at all of the UCs.

I just think it's odd considering my own experiences with the transfer process last year. I was missing more classes in the physics series, I had a lower GPA (3.5) and I still got accepted and this happened to quite a few friends of mine as well (GPAs 3.6-3.9).
    · Reply · Share
    @hoshizora Yeah, I recognize it's probably not the same policy at all of the UCs.

I just think it's odd considering my own experiences with the transfer process last year. I was missing more classes in the physics series, I had a lower GPA (3.5) and I still got accepted and this happened to quite a few friends of mine as well (GPAs 3.6-3.9).

May I ask what your major is? I want to go to UCSD but my GPA (3.56) is also on the lower side esp for Electrical Engineering
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 16
    @hoshizora My major is Microbiology at UCSD and I had a 3.5 GPA at the end of spring before I transferred.

I had taken the first course+lab in the physics series but was missing the other 2 courses + labs for the series. I was also missing a stats class, but my college didn't offer it so I ended up taking that at UCSD as well. Right now, I'm finishing the physics series alongside my other classes.
    edited April 16
    · Reply · Share
    @IBkidonthestreet hopefully I'll have a good chance since I'm finishing up the Modern Physics class (last one in the series) this semester
    · Reply · Share
    @hoshizora I wish you good luck and hope you get in! :smile: Update me when UCSD decisions come out :smiley:
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 16
    @IBkidonthestreet Davis isn’t one of my favorites and is actually the only one I ended up missing a prerequisite for. I heard they’re strict about it but applied anyways. So I kinda expected a rejection today, but hoped for the best.

I’m sorry about you boyfriend though! I hope it works out and he can appeal or get in somewhere else he likes. Best of luck!
    edited April 16
    · Reply · Share
    @hoshizora I wish you good luck and hope you get in! :smile: Update me when UCSD decisions come out :smiley:

I will be updating on the UCSD thread and thanks!:)
    · Reply · Share
  • KatxlalalaKatxlalala 72 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I have a 3.98 and got rejected from physics.
    Missing 3rd physics in the series as my school didnt offer it.
    Appealed straight away and have requested letters of rec from 3 professors
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 3
    As a final note, my boyfriend prepped his appeal declaration but ultimately chose to not submit it.

He will be attending either UCLA, UCSD, or UCR in the fall. Good luck to all of you.
    edited May 3
    · Reply · Share
  • Ohm888Ohm888 Forum Champion UC Transfers 2888 replies70 threads Forum Champion
    @zekogmo geez, that is utterly ridiculous. Appeal!!
    · Reply · Share
  • NonTradtionalNonTradtional 260 replies5 threads Junior Member
    edited May 4
    UC Davis statement:

"When there are more applicants than spaces available in the College of
    Engineering, priority is given to ... who have completed all
    lower-division engineering major requirements ... "

Missing 1 means you didn't complete "all" and there are plenty of students who have completed all so Davis selects the better candidate. This concept applies to jobs too.
    edited May 4
    · Reply · Share
  • vr4cpslo2020vr4cpslo2020 7 replies0 threads New Member
    Anyone heard anything back yet? It says that decisions will be released after June 1st, but I’m not sure if they meant today or just throughout the week. It seems like people generally hear back within the first week of June.
    · Reply · Share
  • KatxlalalaKatxlalala 72 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Not heard anything yet. Keep refreshing constantly daily. Its taking forever
    · Reply · Share