right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UCSD fall 2020 transfer WAITLIST

ucsun24ucsun24 11 replies1 threads New Member
edited May 8 in UC Transfers
Hey guys! Thought I’d start a forum for those waitlisted at UCSD:)
edited May 8
318 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UCSD fall 2020 transfer WAITLIST

• danielalizdanielaliz 10 replies0 threads New Member
    Waitlisted for mechanical engineering
    3.5 gpa
    · Reply · Share
  • ucsun24ucsun24 11 replies1 threads New Member
    I’m waitlisted for sociology with a 3.35
    · Reply · Share
  • rohansramnanirohansramnani 7 replies0 threads New Member
    3.62 for Economics
    · Reply · Share
    can't believe we have to wait until the end of July to hear back! seems like forever
    · Reply · Share
  • ucsun24ucsun24 11 replies1 threads New Member
    @danielaliz i know! This process is so stressful. I was reading an old transfer waitlist thread for UCSD and it said most of them heard in June so let’s hope it comes out soon!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • transfer20199transfer20199 19 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Waitlisted for Psychology with a 3.25
    · Reply · Share
  • uctransfernickuctransfernick 27 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Waitlisted.
    Political Science 3.3 GPA
    · Reply · Share
    tacoturnup wrote: »
    @kristinpete This is speculative, but I think they typically accept more applicants then they have seats for (depending on major). It's how many that SIR and ultimately enroll is what matters. If your major has a low yield rate, then it would appear that you have a good chance of getting in. The lower the yield, the less admitted students enroll, and therefore the greater chance you have of getting pulled off the waitlist into one of those unfilled seats. Now that regular decisions have passed, I think our hopes and dreams are basically riding on how many unfilled seats need to be filled, regardless of GPA/essays/ basketweaving abilities. I assume that because they've made the decision already to put us on the waitlist, they're not going to take the extra time to figure out who is the best pick on the waitlist. I think UCSD's goal is now to get as many paying bodies in the seats that they have, so that they can make $$$

However, I did read on one of these threads that UCSD had an unexpected amount of students enroll in 2017 and they had to pay extra money to those enrolled students for accommodations. This is because they sent out MORE admissions then they had seats for. Consequently in 2018 I read that they admitted the exact number of applicants they had seats for and that the waitlisters had a record high chance of getting in because of this. HOPEFULLY it goes the same way this year, and that the yields will be relatively the same as they have been in past years ;0

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major

Also, I found this interesting.
    · Reply · Share
  • rohansramnanirohansramnani 7 replies0 threads New Member
    @danielaliz last year the first wave of waitlist acceptances came out the second week of June
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 25
    Wait do you guys have to write a brief statement on why you would like to be accepted when you opted in to the waitlist? No right? Because all I saw on my portal was just a yes or no check box. Just want to confirm!
    edited April 25
    · Reply · Share
    Only yes or no. I heard only a few specific UC's give students the opportunity to submit a statement. I don't think UCSD is one of them
    · Reply · Share
  • theboifromlalatheboifromlala 16 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Hey everyone, are you guys thinking about SIR at another school? Would it be a not so good idea of just waiting to hear back?
    · Reply · Share
  • moatsndboatsmoatsndboats 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Do any of you know if the waitlist is by major or just by the luck of the draw?
    · Reply · Share
  • IamherePowahIamherePowah 22 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Does anyone know if you’re waitlisted for your primary or secondary major?
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 25
    @moatsndboats I have heard its by number of seats available for each major specifically. But within each major, random. If that makes sense

Don't quote me on that though lol
    edited April 25
    · Reply · Share
  • moatsndboatsmoatsndboats 2 replies0 threads New Member
    @transfer20199 that is simultaneously reassuring and unnerving.
    I appreciated the info though.
    · Reply · Share
  • CrazyBrainCrazyBrain 38 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Waitlisted for Computer Science with a 3.4 GPA at the time of my application
    · Reply · Share
  • stressedsnrstressedsnr 66 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited April 27
    Does it say anywhere what major we were waitlisted for? I just wanted to know whether I am on the waitlist for my primary or alternate major
    edited April 27
    · Reply · Share
  • lalalisalalalisa 19 replies0 threads Junior Member
    do u guys think that theres a higher than normal chance of getting in off the waitlist because of everything going on currently? i just want to know my chances of getting off so bad lmao
    · Reply · Share
  • lalalisalalalisa 19 replies0 threads Junior Member
    mine doesnt say but i assume for my first choice since my alt major is actually harder. i just wanted to put something just to put it lol
    · Reply · Share