right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UCD or UCSB for Data Science

mc_1228mc_1228 1 replies1 threads New Member
edited July 16 in UC Transfers
Hello guys,
I'm a CCC transfer student from bay area and got admission from UCD (Stats-Data Science Track) and UCSB (Data Science). I'm not sure what school to go to if consider about academic career. Can anyone give me some advice?

Also are there lots of rain in UCD? Rent in UCSB is much expensive than UCD right? (Off-Campus)

Thank you!
edited July 16
4 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UCD or UCSB for Data Science

• anish_the_indanish_the_ind 45 replies8 threads Junior Member
    edited May 12
    UCSB is a better school in terms of ranking. But I doubt employers will care whether you went to Davis or SB, since they're both mid-tier UC's.

You should compare the required upper div coursework of the major at both schools and see what aligns better with your long-term career goals. One of the biggest mistakes I've noticed most college students make is overlooking their long-term goals and hastily making decisions as a result.

Also I think the weather in the Isla Vista area is generally more favorable compared to Davis.
    edited May 12
    · Reply · Share
  • mc_1228mc_1228 1 replies1 threads New Member
    I see, thanks for sharing, I'll go and look up the upper div coursework of the major see whats better for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • Zaira1135Zaira1135 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Easy..Choose UC Davis... UCSB isn't known for being a technical school so employers might just think you partied all day if they know anything abt that school. Rankings mean nothing btw...each ranking is different and based on diff criteria. UCD is ranked higher than UCSB in several other rankings and vice versa. Honestly all UC's give you the overall same quality of education, it's just how you take advantage of it. But bc you are pursuing a technical major, choose UCD, they are closer to the Silicon Valley and you'll have more connections there guaranteed.
    · Reply · Share
  • 101basic101basic 7 replies0 threads New Member
    unless you want to go to the research department like me then choose UCSB. I'm also transferring to ucsb from bay area for data science.
    · Reply · Share