Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How does one get an "incomplete" for a grade

Thedude44Thedude44 Registered User Posts: 1,238 Senior Member
edited July 2007 in UC Transfers
I am trying to find information on trying to get an incomplete for my summer course that I am in but my college is being extremely unhelpful I was curious if anybody has any information on this and if I do get an incomplete grade what do you do after that to complete it? I am in kind of an emergency that I will no longer be able to attend my lectures so any information would be much appreciated.
Post edited by Thedude44 on

Replies to: How does one get an "incomplete" for a grade

  • mojojojo69mojojojo69 - Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    why dont u just get a w instead?
  • poppin3000poppin3000 Registered User Posts: 798 Member
    the way I understand it the best / possibly only way to get an "I" grade is to request one from the professor. That way you can also discuss what you will need to do to change that grade to an actual letter grade with the professor.

    Also a VERY generous professor might give you an "I" if you were to happen to miss the final due to some emergency.

    hopefully that helps a little?
    about me: CCC'er, De Anza to be exact! Fremont Resident, and Irvington High School graduate. I also have a tendency to go back and compulsively edit my posts.
    Where do I want to go / Major? -- UCLA / Econ
    And here's my ghetto avatar:
    Want your own SPECTACULARRR signature/ Avatar?:
  • kaymoua1123kaymoua1123 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    The only way to get an "I" is through your professor. If you have extenuating circumstances that'll prevent you from completing the class, make an arrangement with your professor to complete the work at a later time. I had to get an "I" in one of my classes several years ago because I was hospitalized, and since I kept my professor informed about my situation, he gave me an "I" and was willing to work with me to set a date so I could turn in my work.

    Keep in mind though, that not all professors like giving out Incompletes...It means more work for them...

  • niggit42niggit42 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    And also, you have to complete that I within some allotted time. I once was in a position to get an I and they said I had 2 quarters to re-take the class, but they never told me what the consequence of not doing that was. So try to ask about that before you go down that route.
  • AndaleAndale Registered User Posts: 7,304
    (NB - this info is not specific to the UC system, so may or may not apply)

    In addition to what has been said above, sometimes the student starts by conferring with the Dean of Students (in case s/he is easier to approach re the problem or already knows about it). In my S's case (mono during finals), the Dean "supported" the I request (emailed or called the profs) so that when he approached each prof, the way had been paved.

    Good luck.
  • Thedude44Thedude44 Registered User Posts: 1,238 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the help everybody!
This discussion has been closed.