Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UC Transfer FAQ

Replies to: UC Transfer FAQ

• oxypunk151oxypunk151 Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    I know more a fair amount of people who got into UCLA and UCB with out doing all the preq's for engineering/biology. They were just missing one physics class.

DO NOT MAKE MY MISTAKE. I did not apply for the fall of 08 since I thought I would not get in since I would not have the 3rd physics class as well. If you do not get in apply again. Your chances will NOT be worst if you do not get in the first time. If you do not apply when you think you have a chance you will regret it. I sure as hell ****ed up with the process.
  • xtedxted Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi there! I was wondering what it takes to transfer from Cal Poly Pomona (CE major) to UCI or UCSD. I'm a freshman starting this Fall. Any advice would be great! Thank you in advance! I know I should have gone to a CCC, which I really regret..
  • Thedude44Thedude44 Registered User Posts: 1,238 Senior Member
    It is arguably better to have all your preq's done by fall but I never heard that you need them done before spring.
  • nancienancie Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    thanks for the information, this really helps, but i wonder do they even look at the winter grades i mean it due on Feb and the classes does end around Feb if the grades are good should we update the grades also..
  • AndaleAndale Registered User Posts: 7,304
    I have moved a few recent posts, which relate to a very specific question or concern, to their own new thread.

This thread is often going to lead a reader to have a further question - if it is a general question about the UC Transfer process, which will apply to many/most students, post it here.

If it is a specific situation, rather unique to yourself or only a few people, please feel free to start a new thread. That will not only make this thread more useful for its originally intended purpose; it is also likely to generate more notice and replies for your own question.
  • k1mank1man Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    Also, I failed 2 classes that dropped my gpa to a 2.7, but my school has a program that can redeem the F if you retake the class with a C or more. Will the F's affect my chances?

And finally I am out of state, what are my chances to UCR and UCSB if my gpa is say a 3.4-3.5?
  • Woman.Of.TroyWoman.Of.Troy Registered User Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    thank you! it really did help a lot, but i learned something scary today. Communications Studies is harder to get into than biz econ at UCLA. :P lol.
    good luck everyone! :D
  • cheba63cheba63 Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    How do alternate majors work at the UC schools? I know UCB doesn't offer them, and UCLA is only for TAP students and excludes engineer majors, but what about the rest of them? Do they look at both 1st and alternate with the same weight, also, is it only offered for certain majors?

Another thing, I remember reading that only UCB and UCLA look at the essays. Is that correct or incorrect?
    For the last part of your question

I was told by a UC rep that all UC campuses look at personal statements but if you fulfill your prerequisites and have a decent GPA you will get into most UC's. The only two UC's that the personal statement will make or break you are Berkeley and UCLA.
  • student14xstudent14x Registered User Posts: 782 Member
    "The only two UC's that the personal statement will make or break you are Berkeley and UCLA."

What if you have a very high gpa(3.9-4.0) with most pre-reqs done in addition to being a applicant to a non-impacted major? Can such a person still be rejected from Cal or UCLA because of the personal statement?
    The chances are you will still be very competitive with that GPA and the preq's done but if you write a really bad personal statement I am sure they would not be hesitant to deny especially to the competitive majors and departments. The personal statement will only make or break students who are on the boderline of being accepted.
  • luvtoolearnluvtoolearn Registered User Posts: 908 Member
    The only two UC campuses that look at personal statements for transfer students is UCB & UCLA. The reason why it is suggested to write a good personal statement for other campuses is because scholarship departments and orgs review the personal statements for scholarship opportunities
  • rshaanrshaan Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    god bless you
  • lnch3102lnch3102 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    according to this document for uc counselors, ucla, ucb, uci and ucm are the only uc campuses that use the personal statement for evaluating cc transfers... all campuses "use it to evaluate gaps in applicants’ educational history or in the evaluation of applicants for certain scholarships"

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/resources/materials/CC_2007/Tran_Matrix_07-2.pdf
    Nice Find Inch3102!