Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Designing a major/UCLA

MrSmith15MrSmith15 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
edited August 2008 in UC Transfers
Many schools offer a major in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.
The major is modeled after Oxford's (As I was reading in this wikipedia article: Philosophy, Politics and Economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Anyways, I really want to go to UCLA however they don't offer this major,

on this page
(UCLA General Catalog 2008-09: Undergraduate Study MAJORS AND DEGREES)

it says that individual majors ARE possible, specifically:

Individual Majors

Highly motivated students who find that no single major accommodates their specific interest in a given subject may propose designing their own major. Proposals are prepared with faculty guidance and sponsorship and are thoroughly examined for cogency, completeness, and academic merit. Requirements for individual majors vary among the College and schools.

How would it be possible for me to transfer with the intent of doing this pajor at UCLA?
Post edited by MrSmith15 on

Replies to: Designing a major/UCLA

  • kevin101kevin101 Registered User Posts: 1,235 Senior Member
    My advices is to find the emails of the corresponding professors who work in the departments that you want to major in and contact them directly.

    Also, talk to your counselors as soon as you have a chance because they are the ones who approve your major.

    Once you get it done, you can check www.ursa.ucla.edu for the required courses for graduation.
  • MrSmith15MrSmith15 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    do you mean my community college counselors or UCLA counselors?
  • MrSmith15MrSmith15 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    because what would my major code be when I apply? Or would I have to apply to a major then try to change it to individual?
  • kevin101kevin101 Registered User Posts: 1,235 Senior Member
    For the first question, you should talk to UCLA counselors in your major department.

    For the second one, you should apply to a major close to the one that you want to design individually and then talk to the counselor to make your own. Again, they are the ones who will approve it or not so you must talk to them.

    For individual major, you have to be very careful on the courses selection.

    Here is another idea for you: since you like to do econ, philosophy and so on... why not major in one and minor in another or double majors and get a third minor or just double major.
  • liek0806liek0806 Registered User Posts: 3,316 Senior Member
    CMC is one school that offers that major. I'm not sure if you're planning on applying to CMC, but you may find CMC's program of interest. They offer PPE
This discussion has been closed.