Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

English Requirement

liek0806liek0806 Registered User Posts: 3,316 Senior Member
edited November 2008 in UC Transfers
I know they ask for two semesters, and if anyone here has attended or attends a community college of the LA district, you are aware of Group A only being English 101 and Group B being English 102/103/Philosophy 5 as your two options. But my question is whether if we did two from Groub B for example English 102 and 103 would it still meet the requirement even though English 101 is the only one under Group A?
Post edited by liek0806 on

Replies to: English Requirement

  • Malishka31Malishka31 Registered User Posts: 2,971 Senior Member
    Are you talking about IGETC.

    You USUALLY can not take the next English level without taking 101, it is a preq for 102/103/ phil in just about EVERY SINGLE CC IN CALIFORNIA
  • krnnoodleskrnnoodles Registered User Posts: 403 Member
    i think you need engl101 completed in order to take 102, 103, or philo5.. unless you took AP
  • sleepersleeper Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    Yeah, normally you need English 101 to take any other UC-transferable English course.
  • liek0806liek0806 Registered User Posts: 3,316 Senior Member
    Well I asked because English 101 is way below my english level. I've transferred to a community college after attending a 4 year school for 2.5 years. my freshman english class there was called "critical thought and composition", which would be the NAME equivalent to English 103.

    The obvious problem with it being the name equivalent is that it's higher than 101 and 102. I presented an unofficial transcript to be able to place into higher level english. I'm taking English 102, and its below the level of my four year school freshman english.

    I'm just lost because I've spoken to two different counselors and none can confirm if whether my former english will count as a 103 or a 101.
    That's why I ask if they'd accept me taking 102 and 103 instead of 101 and any of the other courses.

    does anyone know?
  • grey_syntacticsgrey_syntactics Registered User Posts: 2,342 Senior Member
    If it's freshman English and if you are currently taking English 102, then it will most likely be counted as English 101. The title doesn't matter, it's usually the course-to-course comparison of the syllabuses for both classes that need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This is probably why the counselors can't give you a straight answer.
  • liek0806liek0806 Registered User Posts: 3,316 Senior Member
    That's my concern. What if there is not equivalent. Within my first semester of freshman english as my former four year school, papers were 8+ pages.
    Whereas I doubt any English 101 102 or 103 class at a community college requires 8+ page papers.

    My problem/question deals with them requiring that really basic level english 101 when it's obvious I'm capable of higher level stuff.

    i see it like high school in the sense that assume you were attending a high school where you might have reached Calculus status and you transfer to another high school and you realize that the highest course they offer is a Pre Calc. Would the college you apply to as a freshman want to see 3-4 years of math even though your current high school offers courses lower than your level? It just seems like a waste of time youu know. Sorry if this is a bad example, considering my situation is for transferring.
This discussion has been closed.