Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

W versus....(need info soon!)

scrsk8scrsk8 Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
edited October 2008 in UC Transfers
Hey I'm thinking about transferring to a top UC (LA, Berkeley, SB). I am currently enrolled in a financial accounting course which I flunked the first test. If I work my hide off I know I can earn a B, but it will most likely be at the cost of my other grades. Also, after that first test a B is the highest grade I will be able to get in the course. If I withdraw and retake the course I know I can get an A. How does a W with a retake for an A look compared to a B, C, or Pass/Fail. Today is the last day to withdraw info soon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by scrsk8 on

Replies to: W versus....(need info soon!)

• grey_syntacticsgrey_syntactics Registered User Posts: 2,342 Senior Member
    If the class is a pre-req for whatever you plan on majoring in, then do not take it Pass/Fail. They want to see a grade for pre-reqs. And to answer your original question, a W with a retake for an A looks exponentially better than a B/C. If you still have time (i.e. are not submitting apps right now) then definitely take the W and re-take it.
  • krnnoodleskrnnoodles Registered User Posts: 403 Member
    as long as you dont have numerous W's it shouldnt hurt to retake the course
  • scrsk8scrsk8 Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    Thanks for the info grey. When you say "If you still have time (i.e. are not submitting apps right now) then definitely take the W and re-take it." what exactly do you mean? I'm going to be applying in november, but will be retaking the class during a winter interterm session...
  • grey_syntacticsgrey_syntactics Registered User Posts: 2,342 Senior Member
    That's what I meant. I mean, if you can make it to 60 units by the end of Spring then go for it. I'm just in the mode of asking since I've had to pack my fall/winter/spring schedules in order to make it to 60 because I've been working a lot.
This discussion has been closed.