right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Is there anyway to get into a US college without sitting the SATs?

2»

Replies to: Is there anyway to get into a US college without sitting the SATs?

• kathleentownkathleentown 130 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    Yes it is possible to apply without SAT scores. But you are essentially eliminating yourself from applying to top schools in the US. There is one other way of bypassing taking SATs that is by first enrolling in a community college and then tranfering to a 4-year college. You would probably have to do an associate degree or certain number of hours for SAT exemption. But again, if you're applying to top schools, even community college route offers no hope of getting in without taking SATs. Here is a list of few colleges that do not require SAT scores http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/11/11-colleges-that-do-not-r_n_782187.html#s179514&title=Hamilton_College
    · Reply · Share
  • DzheimsDzheims 152 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Basically no. You pretty much have to take the SAT. :( Honestly they are not that bad however–I got a 2020 without studying. Help me out? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/united-kingdom/1616267-us-student-applying-to-british-unis-help.html#latest
    · Reply · Share
  • dubaitragedydubaitragedy 53 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    You don't HAVE to, but I'd take it anyway. Better that you do and have to put in a little extra money and effort than don't and be sorry later on.
    · Reply · Share
  • CounsellorHKCounsellorHK 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    check out www.fairtest.org for a full list.
    · Reply · Share
  • yikesyikesyikesyikesyikesyikes 1834 replies128 discussionsForum Champion U. Michigan Posts: 1,962 Forum Champion
    I am from the USA, and I am pretty sure the SAT and ACT have equal acceptance here.
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 975 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,051 Senior Member
    I would try to prepare and get decent SAT I or ACT scores. If you are applying to good schools, I would take and submit SAT IIs: you should get good scores on those if you are studying for A-levels. If you can't get good scores on the SAT or ACT, then look for schools that will just take your A-levels. Schools in the US are used to looking at grades and SATs. You don't have grades in the US sense, so it is better to give them some of what they are used to loking at.
    · Reply · Share
  • ssswimsssswims 197 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    A. Take the ACT instead

or...

B. Apply to a test-optional school.

But I'd have to warn you, most schools do ask for a form of standardized test. If you take the ACT instead, they're equally accepted with SATs. By applying to test-optional schools only you severely limit your pool of colleges you could potentially apply to.
    · Reply · Share
  • excanuck99excanuck99 373 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 378 Member
    Many, many US universities not require SATs but frequently do for international students. However, if you have outstanding A-levels, these will take precedence and be given far more weight than your SATs. American universities appreciate that you were not trained, coached etc., for American standardized tests.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenstudentgreenstudent 218 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    Why don't you just take the SAT? I'm a UK student and I took the SAT and 2 subject tests last year. The only thing that was difficult about it was the fact that I hadn't studied maths since GCSE so I had to relearn a lot of stuff, and teach myself some areas we just hadn't covered. Plus learning the american terminology for some stuff, but it wasn't that difficult (and probably would have been a lot easier if I hadn't tried to cram it into a month).

Did you ever do the 11+? Just because some of the questions kind of reminded me of that, only more difficult
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1061 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,085 Senior Member
    The OP posed his/her question over four years ago. I think it's safe to assume he/she is no longer applying.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity