right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Oxford or Cambridge?

secgen1945secgen1945 3 replies2 threads New Member
Understanding both universities are amazing, I am having difficulty choosing which of the two to apply to at the end of sixth form. My foci are international relations and government/politics which is why Oxford seems like the better option for me. Despite that, I love Cambridge. Both the school and the city are beautiful, but it is a place I have been and may be less exciting and new. Therein lies another factor heavily weighing on this decision. I attended a summer program at Cambridge University, studying under postgraduates last year, and my current school is strongly affiliated with Cambridge as the top 3 - 5 students are almost always guaranteed places there. I fall into that category, but with the strengths Oxford has, I am having a hard time deciding which one I should even apply to. If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated. Thank you :)
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Oxford or Cambridge?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 8376 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Go with the original and still the best of course!
    · Reply · Share
  • jkeil911jkeil911 5937 replies72 threads Senior Member
    nice problem to have! one for u/g and one for grad?
    · Reply · Share
  • WoanderingWoandering 2241 replies54 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Take a deeper look at what makes each university unique from the other. Cambridge uses the tripos system, which allows you to choose up to two subjects to study, in two periods during your 3 or 4 years. Oxford is stricter; you study exactly what you apply for during the 3 years. However, they have a bunch of multi subject courses that have already been programmed for you. This is up to you to choose which one suits you. What are you looking to study?
    edited July 2014
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity