Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: UK 2018

• sleepingsleeping Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I completely missed that UCL program! It looks like they want 55554 though, do you think my scores would end up with a conditional or just a flat rejection? I did take AP French and got a 4, but I could probably work to get a 5 retake.
  • jupiter98jupiter98 Registered User Posts: 312 Member
    Note that this program is 4 years, but you will be fluent in French after graduation. It will be a big plus for your resume. What do you have for SAT subject tests? Any APs senior year? As it stand right now, you are looking at conditional offer most likely for the dual program. I would still apply, though. UCL relaxed their admission standards a bit last year, Brexit is looming - it will play out in your favor.
  • sleepingsleeping Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    No SAT subject tests, I live in the midwest which is very pro-ACT. I'm planning on taking AP Lit and AP Psych, and while it's not offered, I know a few students who have independently studied AP Gov. in the past, so that's an option as well. I'm debating now between the UCL dual degree and St. Andrews. Would it be too risky to drop City and apply to both?
    edited July 2017
    Drop city, no reason for a safety in your case. If you apply to St.Andrew's, it will be very important to visit. It is one of those places that you will either love or hate.

Take AP Gov and retake French. Take subject tests in September to strengthen your application, but not in AP courses that you have already taken.
  • CuriousInCincyCuriousInCincy Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    First draft of UCAS essay done. I must say we were impressed. S18 is passionate and highly motivated. Oxford is back on the table for consideration (along with Edinburgh, Durham, UCL, and York.)
  • HazeGreyHazeGrey Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    @CuriousInCincy Is he thinking straight history or Classical Archaeology & Ancient History at Oxford? Any thoughts on which college?
    He's looking at both - stay tuned. His grandfather was at Regent's Park but he'll probably apply in general and let them place him...if accepted, or course!
    @CuriousInCincy The odds on CAAH look decent. They had 85 applicants last year, interviewed over 90% of them and made 28 offers. And no aptitude test, just submission of written work. We didn't look at Regent's Park as they don't offer my son's course. He received an offer from the college he applied to (Worcester).
    @HazeGrey I imagine the odds for History only are more slim. Thanks for the info!
    @HazeGrey @VickiSoCal @jupiter98 When you submitted the UCAS application, did you also have the college board send official ACT and AP scores? Or did you just list them on the app and let it ride? If/when you do have them sent, is that to UCAS or to each of the 5 schools?
    You send official scores to the uni after you accept the offer.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 2,862 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    St. Andrews never asked for official AP score report, they did ask for SAT, which she sent. As jupiter says, that was after she firmed.

Also- my daughter was in IB, which is automatically available to all UCAS schools.
    We had an official ACT score sent at the time of UCAS application and were later told that it was never received.

Once my son received his offer in January, we ordered a set of official ACT/AP scores. Had them sent to the Oxford specific school code since that was the only UK school he applied to. His offer went unconditional at the end of January. Didn't firm his Oxford offer until after Ivy Day. His offer letter said that if he had already satisfied his conditions (which he had), the formal test reports had to be received by his college by March 1st.
    Thanks, everyone. You continue to be a valuable resource, and we're grateful.
    Oxford is back on the list. He'll take the HAT and see what happens. Exeter replaces UCL too, due to their strong rankings in History. That makes the current list: Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham, Exeter, York.