Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: UK 2018

• CuriousInCincyCuriousInCincy Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    @JustOffTheBoat Congrats to your senior! We eagerly await a response from Edi, which is my son’s first choice at the moment.
  • elguapo1elguapo1 Registered User Posts: 409 Member
    @JustOffTheBoat What is hard to believe, that UK universities only take academic qualifications, requirements for which are clearly spelled out ahead of time and with minimum cost, in making a decision to a qualified candidate in the application process? I don't blame you for your surprize when compared with the US system which to me is more akin to the hunger games than college matriculation.
  • jupiter98jupiter98 Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    I think @JustOffTheBoat means it is hard to belive they are done :) excellent news and congrats on the acceptance. Edi is a wonderful school and Scotland is a magnificent, magical place. I have been all over, and cannot wait to go back.
  • HedgePigHedgePig Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    edited October 2017
    Another one for the data bank. Daughter accepted at Birmingham and Edinburgh for English Language and Literature (conditional on proof of submitted SAT and AP scores.) She achieved 1440 on the SAT and has 55544 for AP's. She will be sitting for another 4 AP's at the end of this academic year.
    A day or two after acceptance, she was actually phoned by a lecturer from Birmingham who just wanted to see if she had any questions, which was a nice touch.
    She retook the SAT in September and achieved 1540 and is now trying to get that score updated at the remaining 3 universities she applied to. (It seems to be a bit of a mission!)

We were also surprised how quickly she heard back - thought it would be around January or later!

She's also considering applying to US colleges. Given her lousy GPA (3.1), I think she stands much less chance of getting into a good US school, so it's probably just as well that she seems set on the UK.
  • jupiter98jupiter98 Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    Congrats on the acceptances @HedgePig. You need to call UCAS to update scores. It took about 3 days for them to do it for DD.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 3,069 Senior Member
    @HedgePig if she has unconditional and she's firmed by then you may not want to spend the money/stress on additional AP's. We kind of regret having D7 do them.
  • HedgePigHedgePig Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    Thanks, Jupiter98. She's been contacting the universities (suggested by her school) directly but contacting UCAS directly does seem to make more sense.
    @VickiSoCal - she's applying for Cambridge (a "far reach") which requires 5 5's on the AP's, as well as UCL and Durham, which she hasn't heard from yet.
    Got it. In our case she already had unconditional from her top 2, St Andrews and Durham so in retrospect it seems silly she took them.
  • JustOffTheBoatJustOffTheBoat Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thank you: you're spot on. Obviously I wasn't clear, but I wasn't comparing UK and US systems whatsoever.
    Well, I guess in the end it gives her the satisfaction of being able to say she got Five 5's. The fact that 4 of them were social studies and she is a chemistry major is odd.....
  • HazeGreyHazeGrey Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    @CuriousInCincy Good luck to your son tomorrow on the HAT!
    @HazeGrey Very kind of you. Thanks! He’s excited and ready. Sending his writing sample this week too, which is quite strong IMHO.
  • HazeGreyHazeGrey Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    @CuriousInCincy Lots of complaint over on the student room about the MAT and PAT. Hopefully things went well and that thanksgiving brings you good news.
    No complaints here. HAT reported to be very straightforward. Much like an American AP exam. Fingers crossed and hoping for the shortlist!
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,911 Senior Member
    Good news, @CuriousInCincy! let us know what happens next :)