Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances for Scottish Schools

WeBandOfBrothersWeBandOfBrothers Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
US student

New SAT: 1500
AP US Govt: 5
AP Eng Lang: 5

Future tests:
Another SAT
SAT Subject Tests: World History and Literature
APs: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Environmental Science, World History

What are my chances for getting into the Arabic and Persian program at University of Edinburgh? What about the Modern Languages (Arabic and Persian) and Middle Eastern Studies at University of St. Andrews? Is it safe to say that these could be my safeties?

Thanks!

Replies to: Chances for Scottish Schools

• VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 2,872 Senior Member
    You are applying to a foreign language program with no foreign language testing?
  • WeBandOfBrothersWeBandOfBrothers Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Yes, but on my transcript I have good grades in Italian. Would you recommend taking foreign language testing? If so, what tests in Italian do you know of (if any)?
  • elguapo1elguapo1 Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    I would say you have an excellent chance although I would question the wisdom of learning 2 new languages from scratch at the university level.
  • jupiter98jupiter98 Registered User Posts: 312 Member
    Edinburgh asks for a foreign language and a math/science AP results for this degree. You need to contact US admissions counsellors and ask if your qualifications for this course are acceptable. You have great scores, just not for this particular course. Moreover, I agree with elguapo1 about the difficulty of learning 2 languages from scratch. Edi's language courses are very intense. Your second year you will join other students who took AP/A level language and an advanced year-long course the first year. It will be very tough.
    Thank you all for the advice. I will also register for the SAT subject test in Italian.
    I also have taken some amount of Arabic in the past, so I know the alphabet and can maintain a basic conversation. Would you still say that learning two new languages is over the top?
    Nobody can say that for sure. We do not know your aptitude for languages. I would advise to take one language as part of a joint degree. What is the goal of having two languages on your resume? Working as an interpreter get old really fast. Also, keep in mind that you will need to pass exams after the second year with at least 50 for both languages, and 50 is not easily achievable. There will be no resits or retakes. You do not pass, you are out.
    Thank you very much, I will keep all of this in mind as I consider my options.
  • cloudysmomcloudysmom Registered User Posts: 748 Member
    @jupiter98 Hey, saw your post on this thread. Can you explain what you mean about getting a 50 on a language exam after the 2nd yr, what is that? My DD would be a French & History Major. Thank you!
    edited January 10
    Each school has different requirements to progress to third year honors. An average of 50 out of a 100 for all exams second year is often required, and a 50 is often required for certain courses. 70 is an A. You can look up specific requirements for your dd’s course on the uni’s website.
    @jupiter98 Ok thanks, wasn't aware of the testing, sooooo much to learn. I have been on the website fairly obsessively, lol, but don't always understand the jargon.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,593 Senior Member
    The joint honours history/language program at Edinburgh is really super: you spend year 3 living in the country of your target language (ie, France for your daughter), and year 4 is taught entirely in that language- you come out truly fluent, able to read, speak and write at a very high level. You can see what each year is like (and what the choices are) here: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/17-18/dpt/utfrenhmah.htm

The grade thing is a jolt: a 70/100 is a 1st class honour, and it is hard-earned! Most students come out with a 2.1 (average of 60-69).
    @collegemom3717 thank you, great info! We have been trying to make sense of it but the jargon is so different. I looked at the link and it says MA and Honors, I don't really know what that means. trying to make sense of the grades, well, of everything really, lol! Do you know if the year abroad is more $ or if its the same tuition? So much to figure out and I am not great at understanding their website. Thank you!
    In Scotland undergraduate degrees in the humanities are typically "Masters of Arts" (MA Hons), and what you are used to thinking of as as Masters degree is a Masters of Literature (MLitt). Science degrees are either BSc (4 years) or MSc (5 years), which is a full Masters in the way that you are used to.

Costs for the year abroad depend in part on what course (which affects what you are doing and where), but it used to be that you paid 75% (?) of the tuition fees. Living costs are on you, same as when you are in Edinburgh.

It's worth noting that to progress from year 2 to year 3 you do have to pass your exams with at least a 50. Also, this is not organized the way it would be in the US: the university does not do organize the placements for the students. They do provide a list of contacts and programs, but it is up to the students to research, find and secure their own placement, including all of the logistics. It is very much up to the student to make it happen - and then make it work.

Which leads me to....I hope that your daughter is doing a lot of this homework for herself. These are muscles she seriously needs to develop right now if she is going to make it work. Being taken on a trip to Edinburgh is one thing, but if she lands there she will need to do it on her own. If she really, really wants this *and* is ready to take it on she should be kind of pushing back on you doing all this work for her. All of us who have had our collegekids head overseas to study completely get the urge to do the homework- as much for ourselves as anything!- but truly, she needs to be stepping up. Have her to go research through the student room, a UK version of CC, that is more student oriented: parents are not a big presence (and not really welcome), and the kids help each other, which is the UK way.
    @collegemom3717 Thanks! I have been talking to someone about this masters thing & I THINK the joint degree program at Edinburgh is a Masters in the way I am used to thinking about it. I think he said it was, anyway and I am still looking into it. I also found out there are scholarships to help with the study abroad in that program as it is required and they will apply if it is more than the usual Edinburgh tuition.

He was telling me about these tests and I have been reading about them but am confused. What do you mean by placement?

Oh, this digging is just for me. She is doing it on her own, googling, watching videos about writing the PS, going to the school websites and has already looked up course choices for the 4 yrs and even called the school. She even looked up financial stuff for me. I am just trying to understand the process for myself along with the finances and safety of living in an apt in a big city. For me I am someone who needs to understand the process, not to tell her but because I just need to know a few things about my DD possibly going to school in another country. She has been going on Student Room. I do understand they don't hand hold like US schools which is part of why I am researching for me, that is something I need to know.
    The MA(Hons) in History and French at Edinburgh is an undergraduate degree.

Sorry for the confusion on 'placement'. If it is not clear what level of language the student already has, there may be a placement test (at Edi I think that there are only 2 level options for French) but that isn't the placement I was talking about. There are also end of year exams to move forward from one level to the next, which is where the 50%+ comes in.

The placement I meant was the study abroad placement. There are many options, in many places, and each student is responsible for identifying the ones that are interesting to them, applying (many are competitive), and once they have secured one, doing the logistics of getting registered, sorting out the accommodation, getting there, and of course being in charge of themselves once there. There may or may not be other Edi students on the same placement, though there are typically other 'study abroad' students (who may be from the UK- or another EU country, esp on the Erasmus* programs).

Glad to hear that she is taking the lead! and completely understand your wanting to get your head around it :-)

*Erasmus is basically an intra-EU study abroad scheme: all EU universities have coordinated at least some of their courses (usually most or all) so that the credits are recognized and accepted across the EU. Erasmus scheme courses are guaranteed not to cost more than the home institution, and there are a number of EU sponsored websites to help students find accommodation. B/c your daughter is not an EU citizen I don't think that she will be eligible for the grants that can help cover higher cost of living, but most of the rest will be available to her. Some of the Erasmus locations are *very* popular, and there is a cap on places, which is where the competitive element comes in. There are other schemes and ways to go abroad as well, and students are given info with suggestions.