Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN VS TRINITY COLLEGE DUBLIN (FOR CS)

Tan2409Tan2409 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I want to know that which one is better for course, opportunities and various other factors.

Replies to: UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN VS TRINITY COLLEGE DUBLIN (FOR CS)

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,653 Senior Member
    The courses are pretty different in structure and focus, so spend some time reading the course descriptions- they are pretty detailed. The following is just anecdotal- bits and pieces I have heard from friends, colleagues and students about CS courses in general.

In practice, DCU (Dublin City University) is seen as less prestigious than UCD or TCD as an overall name, and the location isn't as good, but it seen as having the strongest CS program (called Computer Applications). It is seen as more up to date and more industry-oriented than the others. They also have a Data Science program that is highly rated. They used to match you with internships (vs letting you choose) which annoyed some students that I knew- if that would be an issue for you, you might want to check to see if that is still the case.

TCD has a great location and a nicer campus than UCD or DCU (though almost all the student housing is a LOT farther from campus), but some people feel the program is not as up to date as DCUs. It is widely seen as more mathematical/theoretical and it has a rep as a tough course.. Still, they all get (well) paid internships over the summers and in 4th year. TCD is trying to create a start-up culture in the CS department, so there are competitions for seed-funding. Imo, the internship opportunities are better than at DCU, and that is probably b/c of the Trinity name (not necessarily Trinity CS name, if you get the distinction). I co-led, with a colleague from TCD CS, a massive grant proposal project a couple of years ago (involving 4 universities and 4 industry partners across 3 countries) and was impressed with their researchers on the team- but that says nothing about CS at TCD for a student.

UCD has a rep for being research-focused, tilting toward PG research v industry readiness. Mixed reviews on lecturers- seem to be great or dreadful, not much in-between. Course was just re-structured 1 (2?) years ago, and I haven't heard much in the way of reviews yet.

All of the courses have a really high drop out rate, and first year lectures are large (400+).
  • Tan2409Tan2409 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @collegemom3717 Thanks a lot for your reply.
  • sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    Yeh, I looked at the program for Dublin City College and seemed amazingly practical by US standards. The other two also seem less theoretical than typical US programs. Digipen, which is a computer school, seems a little comparable in that regard.
  • sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    I know Digipen isn't considered good the CS, but like proprietary schools are real practical, but obviously there are issues with that. I looked at Dublin City College and University College Dublin and they both have really practical programs in a number of areas. Of course there is good and bad to that, but they seem more focused toward the student, as opposed to US schools, which seem more focused towards academic specialties of the faculty.