right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Multiple Languages at Cambridge?

trademark51trademark51 0 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
I really enjoy foreign language and want to learn Japanese in college. However, I would still want to continue to be able to learn other languages. One of the schools I am interested in applying in is Cambridge University, however on their website they write, "Chinese and Japanese cannot be combined with another language. However, those studying Japanese can take Korean as an option in Year 4"(https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/asian-and-middle-eastern-studies).
Does that mean that I can't take any other language courses or that I cannot major (or minor?) in any other languages? Also, how strict is that rule (I know some universities say things like that but are open minded if a student wants to pursue an interest)?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Multiple Languages at Cambridge?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 6572 replies54 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    They mean it. Cambridge (and the UK universities in general) are very specific about their courses. There is no major or minor: you study your subject and only your subject (though I think you can combine Japanese and Chinese after year 2). You will have few choices in your courses and you will live, eat, sleep and breath all things Japanese: language, culture, history, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1513 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You can do a CCK (Certificate of Competent Knowledge) in another language in your "spare" time(!?!). But that's not for learning a language from scratch, it's just to practice and get a certificate in one you already know. You won't have much spare time unless you are extremely competent in your primary language(s) already.

So my wife did German and Spanish (Spanish from scratch), but got a CCK in French, which she had done along with German at A-level.

Note also that the Cambridge course is very literature heavy. That may or may not be your thing, but there's not much choice about it in the first two years. If you are doing Japanese from scratch that may be an intimidating prospect.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1513 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Oops, reading too quickly. I was referring to the MML (Modern & Medieval Languages) course. Not sure how AMES does it in terms of language vs literature (though I think anyone can do a CCK in MML).
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Key question is why you would want to study multiple languages at Cambridge.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1114 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You might be able to take language courses not for credit: http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/cu-open-lang.html
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41730 replies450 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If that's what you want to do, want the UK, and want selectivity and prestige, apply to UEdinburgh and University of St Andrews.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1114 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The Oxford course lets you do some Chinese, Korean or Tibetan alongside Japanese: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/oriental-studies/japanese?wssl=1
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity