right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Need Help With St. Andrews University

18YearsASlav18YearsASlav 101 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
So, I have a number of questions:

1:
I have taken numerous undergraduate and undergraduate/graduate level courses at UW Madison and UChicago and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer credits?

2:
To be honest, none of my college apps turned out except for St. As and UW Madison -- and I like UW Madison in the same fashion that a cat likes water. That being said, I will need significant financial assistance if St. As is to be a possibility. I've looked for scholarships but I haven't found much given my demographic and field of study (Ancient History/Classics/Archaeology -- in case anyone knows of any). So, if anyone has any advice or outlets for grants/scholarships and ways to cut down on the cost of attending I would be very grateful.

3:
Is it difficult to move from a UK undergraduate to a Graduate school in the US?

4:
Is St. As a good school when it comes to sending on students to post-grad programs?

5:
I know there is information about the number of students in a dept, but don't know where to find it. Would one of you please link me to such data?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Need Help With St. Andrews University

• VickiSoCalVickiSoCal 3367 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You will not find the scholarships you are looking for. They do not exist.
    · Reply · Share
  • 18YearsASlav18YearsASlav 101 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @VickiSoCal

Well, thats very unfortunate.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    ^ Agree on #2.

But to answer the rest:

1. No. Not really transfer credits. Possibly skip a year.

3. No (misread question the first time)

4. I daresay pretty good.

But the real answer is, especially if you are considering grad school, turning your nose up on UW-Madison (which is merely one of the top research universities in the world) is crazy.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6580 replies54 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    1. It is very unusual to be able to transfer credits. Look at the specific courses you have and the first year course requirements to see if there are any obvious matches, then write the university- but don't count on it.

2.As @VickiSoCal said, there is no meaningful FinAid and there are no meaningful scholarships.

3. No

4.Yes

5. https://synergy.st-andrews.ac.uk/earthsci/files/2016/09/Times-Sunday-Times-League-Table-Summary-2017.pdf
    · Reply · Share
  • 18YearsASlav18YearsASlav 101 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @PurpleTitan

Sure, UW-M is good at some STEM fields and alright at business, but the department I would be in has been so stripped down that it is a conglomerate with four others -- so for me it wouldn't be all that hot.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    UW-Madison is also strong in sociology, history, poli sci, and social sciences in general.
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 979 replies78 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    British universities are more rigid and you cannot transfer credits. You can't get aid, but St. Andrews should be cheaper than most alternative except U Wisc in state. It has a good reputation and should be fine for graduate school in the US. It may be a little more competitive than U Wisc, which is also an excellent school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity