right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Glasgow University or Maynooth University for Epidemiology?

mellbell13mellbell13 1 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
Hi everyone! So I'm an American currently deciding between two epidemiology MSc programs - Immunology and Global Health at Maynooth University in Ireland, and Quantitative Methods in Biodiversity, Conservation and Epidemiology at Glasgow University in Scotland.

Does anyone have any experience with graduate research at either school? Is an Irish MSc degree on par with a UK/US degree? Are the assessment methods different?

I'm kind of concerned that Maynooth is a little too unknown outside of Ireland. Obviously a degree from Glasgow carries a lot of weight (it's ranked in the top 100!) but this particular degree focuses more on conservation and animal welfare rather than human disease, and the research component is geared towards ecology. Maynooth's program has a larger focus on microbiology rather than statistics but I'm more interested in their research. There's also the price - Maynooth is about 15K cheaper than Glasgow and has guaranteed accommodation for international students.

In terms of a MSc degree, does it matter what school awarded it? Or are the modules/ subject of the research more important?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Glasgow University or Maynooth University for Epidemiology?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 6575 replies54 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For any particular degree, the ranking of the university is not necessarily the most important variable For example, if you want an engineering degree, Harvard is not where you go.

Your field is pretty specialized, which can nest inside Public Health, Biodiversity (Glasgow), Biology (Maynooth), etc., depending on the focus of the program. So, for you (assuming a reputable university, ofc), the *fit* of the program > the overall rank of the university. It doesn't matter if your Uncle Bob has heard of University X- it matters that the people who hire people with graduate degrees in your field have heard of your program/supervisors/research.

You don't say enough about your own interests to give any more feedback than that. Have you looked more broadly, and narrowed it to these 2 programs?

· Reply · Share
  • mellbell13mellbell13 1 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Optimally, I'd like to go into the research side of Public Health. I'm largely interested in infectious disease, with auto-immunity as a close second, which is part of why I applied to Maynooth in the first place. Glasgow just started advertising for an Infectious disease MSc but it won't be available until next year and the modules are all really similar to the Biodiversity, Conservation and Epidemiology MSc.
    And yeah, I've narrowed down the list based on available modules and affordability. I'm still waiting on a response from LSHTM for the MSc in Control of Infectious Disease (My top choice), but realistically, they're highly selective and I'm not expecting to be accepted.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6575 replies54 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Here's hoping you will be happily surprised :-)

Look at the faculty profiles for the modules you would take- one of them will become your research supervisor. Imo, choose the course that will take you closest to the direction you actually want to go. Both Glasgow & Maynooth are very credible universities and a good uni experience.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity