right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

AP, IB, or Studying Abroad?

bloodiedrosebloodiedrose 0 replies2 threads New Member
Hi! I am looking to apply to the University of Manchester and their website states that they require a minimum score of 4 in three AP tests for U.S. students. (They can substitute some with SAT scores, but I'm unsure if that will apply to what I would like to major in.) I'm entering my sophomore year of high school in the United States (home country), and I have been discussing with my family about applying to study abroad during my junior year. If my end up applying and being accepted into the foreign exchange program, I will be unable to participate in AP classes my junior year without self-studying. When I return to America for my senior year, I will only be able to take two AP classes, as I will have missed certain preresiquite classes.

Should I self-study AP courses while away? Should I stay in America to be positive I can have the AP classes completed? Or should I consider taking an IB course and going abroad, then reconsidering my college choices? I know that this is early to begin to think of college, but I strive to be at the top of my class and place most of my effort towards my school work. I know that I still have time to think about it, but if I do go through with applying to study abroad, I would like to start preparing as soon as possible.

(If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know and I will gladly move it to another and delete this!)
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP, IB, or Studying Abroad?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 8376 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Self-studying is a perfectly viable way to do many APs- lots of students do it. What course would you be applying for, what is the typical offer / what APs are involved?

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity