right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

**St Andrews in Scotland 2023 Applicants Discussion**

Replies to: **St Andrews in Scotland 2023 Applicants Discussion**

• PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    @jiren5, I'd dismiss that Cardiff prof too. Note that Cardiff isn't exactly comparable to PSU or any of your options in terms of research intensity. Probably not in terms of top students either.

For CU, did you get in to some honors college and did you check to see what they offer?
    That would matter in terms of the quality of your research opportunities. Potentially a lot.

Also, while the top undergrads and thus probably the honors college students at CU would be comparable to the overall quality of the undergrad student body at your UK options, most of the CU undergrads would not be. Something to consider. And yes, at the top UK schools, 3rd year in England/4th year in Scotland in single subject courses is comparable to master's level classes in the US due to the focus (with the first 2 years in England/first 2 of 3 in Scotland covering what a major would in the US) due to the more focused nature of the the programs.
    But yes, at American unis, undergrads have the opportunity to take grad classes and get involved in research (if you are International, though, look in to the ramifications when it comes to paid positions).
    · Reply · Share
  • jiren5jiren5 10 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @PurpleTitan thanks for your response! I did get into the honors program, and I even got a 25k scholarship. But I am unsure as to what the advantages of the honors college are exactly. As far as I could tell, honors college students are allowed to take some classes which have a maximum class size of 17. Initially, I thought this was fantastic (it is in a way), but the classes offered are not really specific to physics, in fact, most of them are a bunch of courses which one would use to satisfy distribution requirements. They are social sciences/humanities/arts/writing courses and a few introductory courses in science and math. There is also some honors accommodation and residential honors classes, again not physics specific. There is the honors thesis at the end of the program though, and it looks pretty damn serious! But anyone who has a high enough GPA can do this and graduate with departmental honors, it is not only for the students who were admitted to honors initially. So I didn't find anything extremely special basically. But they do seem to take honors students more seriously, and this may mean more opportunities. There is also access to some communities, and guest lectures and events etc.

I know what you mean about the quality of the student body. I have heard that the majority of the people at CU don't really care about their education. It is a party school after all! But the UK is self-selective in this sense.

I had a question though. Does me being international affect the research opportunities I get? What I mean is that, will I be ineligible because I'm an international? I know this depends on the exact program itself and whether it is in CU or outside. Also, what did you mean when you said I should look into the ramifications when it comes to paid positions.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    edited April 22
    @jiren5, because there are restrictions on Internationals and being paid while on a student visa. You should look in to that.

BTW, in the UK, it's not so much self-selection as it is selection by the program. You have to meet their minimum marks to have a chance.
    edited April 22
    · Reply · Share
    Yes I have heard about this. I will definitely look it up carefully.

Hahaha I meant self-selection in the sense that, students without the minimum grades won't apply because there is no chance of them getting in.

Btw, by ignore the Cardiff proffesor, did you mean that his comment saying that a 3 year UK degree is worthless is false? He seemed to strongly suggest that unless its 4 years (the MPhys) it is useless.

· Reply · Share
    @jiren5, he may be referring to the research component, which tends to be an aspect that is lacking with 3Y UK degrees.
    · Reply · Share
    Ah. I see. I will keep that in mind.

Anyway. @PurpleTitan , @elguapo1, @collegemom3717 thanks a lot, all of you, for taking the time to write such detailed and insightful responses. It has been really really helpful. Once I discuss things with my parents, I shall make a decision.

Cheers!
    · Reply · Share
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal 3352 replies33 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,385 Senior Member
    Note you will do significant research in the fourth year of an MPhys program in the UK. It will be integrated in to the curriculum. If you get a first and do well on the GRE I see no reason you could not get a fully funded graduate placement in the US. And you will be ahead of your fellow PhD students that came out of us achools.
    · Reply · Share
    @Coloradomama, pinging you about post #143 and later as you seem to know a lot about physics.
    · Reply · Share
  • HeckofatripHeckofatrip 18 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    Elguapo1- your knowledge and background in regard to European Universities is helping so many people. I don't want to intrude on this thread, but I have some questions that are difficult to research and aren't referenced here on College confidential. Does this site allow folks to set up a separate conversation?
    · Reply · Share
  • ninakatarinaninakatarina 1593 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,637 Senior Member
    Generally you can't send private messages until you have over a certain post count. I think it's a pretty hefty number of posts too. It's a blunt force way to cut down on spambots.
    · Reply · Share
  • elguapo1elguapo1 441 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 444 Member
    @Heckofatrip if you have specific questions regarding other UK universities, or the UK in general, start a seperate thread, however my knowledge extends about as far as Dover.
    · Reply · Share
  • d3swimmomd3swimmom 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My son committed 2 days ago, molecular biology 4 years, we are very excited!!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6272 replies46 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,318 Senior Member
    Congrats, @d3simmom, to you and your son! It should be a great adventure
    · Reply · Share
  • HeckofatripHeckofatrip 18 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    Elguapo1
    I started a thread titled: Are there European University Options?.
    · Reply · Share
  • ninakatarinaninakatarina 1593 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,637 Senior Member
    Well, today is 6 weeks since my son sent in his application so I'm hoping we hear back this week or next. We're cutting it down to the wire on getting passports, visas, health plans, etc completed.

Crossing fingers. I hope any other US folks who applied early April will let us know if they get contacted, just so I know that things are moving.
    · Reply · Share