Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

**St Andrews in Scotland 2023 Applicants Discussion**

Replies to: **St Andrews in Scotland 2023 Applicants Discussion**

• vpa2019vpa2019 Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    @ninakatarina have you checked with them? It took about 6 weeks for my daughter to hear back last fall. What subject is he looking to study?
  • ninakatarinaninakatarina Registered User Posts: 1,633 Senior Member
    English or Film Studies. He has been checking the portal but hadn't contacted them directly.
    Nice🙂! It might be worth sending an email but either way I hope he hears soon! Did you have a chance to visit?
    Heh, no. If he gets in this will be the first time he or my husband have been out of the country.
    So, on the kiddo's urging I called the school, transatlantic. Talked with a woman with a lovely accent and discovered that since kiddo is over 18 and didn't list me as a proxy on the application, I have no right to learn anything about the application except for the fact that it exists.

I told her that I was mostly worried that they hadn't received all the materials we sent in. She said she would have them send him an email telling him the status of all materials requested and received, because only he gets to know that they have received everything and should be giving him a decision shortly.

A very roundabout conversation. I do like that they respect the adult status of their applicants and don't just blabber off to random callers. And if I'm reading between the lines properly we should be hearing something Soon. For relative values of Soon.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 6,286 Senior Member
    welcome to the world of the backseat parent, @ninakatarina! be sure your son understands that there won't be anyone there to pick up the pieces, now or if he enrolls. StA's does a lot more than many (most!) UK unis, but they still expect adults to be adults.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 3,362 Senior Member
    My interaction with St. Andrews consists of wiring them money twice a year.
    He's in! Oh crap! Now what do we do?

Our passports are expiring before the school year starts! Ack!

We got the forms for new ones and got pictures but this is probably only the first scramble panic of the summer. But that doesn't matter because my baby is going to Scotland and he's going to do such great things there.
  • AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 Registered User Posts: 1,225 Senior Member
    Congrats @ninakatarina -- exciting times!
    @ninakatarina congratulations! 🎉 Such wonderful news ! My D is going as well 🙂 maybe they’ll meet during freshers week.
    I probably shouldn't have done the deep dive on YouTube. I ran into a lot of videos that seem to show a lot of students binge drinking. Is there a strong drinking culture at St. Andrews; can someone who doesn't drink still have fun?
  • college curiouscollege curious Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @ninakatarina there is a huge drinking culture at St. Andrews but also lots of students who do not drink. My son will be a third yesr this coming year studying management. He loves the St. Andrews and would be happy to speak to you or your son if you would like. PM me if you want.
    @ninakatarina my D is going and she isn’t a drinker either. I am concerned about the drinking situation a bit as well but it exists at almost every school it seems.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 6,286 Senior Member
    edited June 4
    UK drinking is a world apart: prepare your kid, no matter how much of a non-drinker they are now. Remind them to *never* drink a punch! Make sure they know about eating while drinking.

One of my older collegekids had a mini-drinking session at home with her sister before she headed off, so that she could know how alcohol felt in her body. They didn't get drunk but it helped the younger one know how little alcohol would make her 99 pound body feel different. The older one also introduced the younger one to cider (that is, hard cider, which is now becoming a thing in the US- Angry Orchard is big with college kids atm), which is a very ok drinking option in the UK.

You -and they- may think that they will 'never' drink. It is possible, but it is very, very unlikely that they won't ever drink a drop. Seriously. Pretty sure that when @collegecurious says 'plenty of students who don't drink' there is a 'very much' implied- that they don't binge drink, not that they are teetotal. And as a significant % of UK students have been developing their drinking chops for a couple of years by the time they hit university, you need to prep your student for it the same way you have helped prep them for other environments where they are the new kids on the block.
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 1,379 Senior Member
    edited June 5
    Yes, only in the UK would it be considered acceptable for someone who wanted to be PM to boast that "Between the ages of 15 and 21 he drank 14 pints a day" https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/09/thatcher.williamhague
    Amusingly, the pushback in this article is not that this is a bad idea, but that "The idea of him sinking 14 pints is laughable" and "you don't look at him and see a 14-pint man".

The good thing is that because drinking is legal, it's not hidden away in dorm rooms - a lot of drinking (perhaps even the majority) is done in college bars, pubs and clubs. Also remember that a UK pint is 20 fl oz, not 16 fl oz...