right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

What A Level grades do I need?

kbsuoekbsuoe 12 replies4 threads Junior Member
I'm applying with my a Level grades and there is barely any information about them at colleges. I got a B C C, one C was unexpected. What colleges would my grades be good for? And that I have a good chance of getting into with them with?
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What A Level grades do I need?

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14701 replies109 threads Forum Champion
    Are you an international student?
    If so, Check on https://educationusa.state.gov/ for an advising center for your country to get info on applying to US colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • kbsuoekbsuoe 12 replies4 threads Junior Member
    No I'm American in the British system
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14701 replies109 threads Forum Champion
    Check this out http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/255267-destination-usa.pdf

Have you taken the SAT or ACT? You will need to.

Also http://recognition.cambridgeinternational.org/SearchRecognitions.aspx and you can look up colleges of interest and see how they treat Alevels.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43463 replies473 threads Senior Member
    BCC will be accepted at universities and LACs ranked 50+ in their USNWR respective lists.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 13630 replies32 threads Senior Member
    Looking at American colleges? Unis elsewhere?
    · Reply · Share
  • kbsuoekbsuoe 12 replies4 threads Junior Member
    edited August 2018
    @myos1634 what do you mean by 50+? so the Universities in the list which are after the top 50?
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 1038 replies94 threads Senior Member
    Are you applying to US schools? I am not sure if BCC will get you into a to 100 school.You need to take the SAT or ACT.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43463 replies473 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes, universities and LACs ranked 59-125 nationally, or regional universities ranked 1-25.
    BCC on A Levels = A-, B, B on the US scale. (You may see C,D offers - the limit is E, usually you simply don't list the E for entry tarif and assume C, D, was a C, D, E. E does carry tariff points for admission as it's the last passing result but many universities don't use it.)
    If a C was unexpected would you be able to retake the exam?
    I know that this year something like 100,000 students missed their marks due to the new exams.
    Penn State would give you 24 credits for it for example. Or look at UNebraska, UIowa, JMU, CNU.
    Or Luther college, Earlham, Lewis&Clark, Hendrix, Guilford, Millsaps. These would also allow you to apply undecided so if you're interested in a more competitive major you could decide later and not announce it on your application.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • cloudysmomcloudysmom 733 replies20 threads Member
    Don't go to Milsaps - its in Jackson, MS where I grew up and still have family there. Its a great school but Jackson crime is out of control, its awful. There are some nice neighborhoods but overall a very conservative, very Baptist place to live. No diversity, the poorest state in the country and it shows.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity