right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

AP Chem score 1, how badly will this affect my admissions?

adbra19adbra19 5 replies4 threads New Member
edited August 2018 in United Kingdom
Hi!

I'm planning on applying to top schools in the UK and Ireland. My top choice is the University of Edinburgh, then Trinity College Dublin/Galway/Exeter.

The minimum entry requirement for Edinburgh, just for context, is ACT minimum 27, SAT minimum 1200, 3 APs grade 4 or higher.

I've reached that. I've got ACT 29, SAT 1320, and my AP scores are as follows:

AP Seminar grade 4
AP World Hist grade 5
AP Gov grade 4
AP Psych grade 4
AP Chem grade 1

That AP Chem grade is throwing me off big time, sorta stressing about it. How badly do you think it'll affect my chances of being admitted into these universities? They're all top notch, and I'm a little worried. I'm also currently in AP Research, AP Stats, and AP Bio and will take all the exams for them. I shouldn't score lower than a 3 for any of them (I hope, at least).

Do you think I have a good shot, despite my chem score?

EDIT: I'll be applying to various history/humanities courses. No math or science for me hah
edited August 2018
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Chem score 1, how badly will this affect my admissions?

• eyemgheyemgh 5789 replies124 threads Senior Member
    I can't speak for the schools you are considering, but most schools in the US don't factor AP scores into admission decisions. They only use them, if they do at all, to decide what to let you test out of with credit towards your degree.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43463 replies473 threads Senior Member
    I would suggest you take another AP in a humanities or social science.

Was AP gov both US and comp?

AP chem or AP bio won't matter a bit for Humanities courses. However they're likely to want more than ap gov and ap world, and you may want to check whether they accept AP seminar/AP research.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 8376 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Agree with @MYOS1634- the chem score won't be a problem for humanities courses, but you are cutting it pretty fine for some of these colleges. Are you taking any APs / Subject tests this year?

As for your the specific unis, Exeter does not prefer Psych or Gov, and History at Exeter requires 5s on APs, so I think that one is unlikely. Edi would depend on the specific course- a popular one (such as IR) would probably not be a runner. In general, I would be cautious about any UK/Irish History course, unless you have a genuinely strong interest in the subject, as you may find yourself under-prepared and struggle even if you get an offer.

*A detail, but it's Trinity College Dublin (Irl), University College Galway (Irl) and University of Exeter (UK)
    · Reply · Share
  • adbra19adbra19 5 replies4 threads New Member
    yeah, that's true. But from what I've found for non-US schools is that AP is one of the few things they can use to judge a student so they're worth quite a bit.
    · Reply · Share
    @collegemom3717 My response to you is probably going to be a long one, sorry in advance...

When you say I'm "cutting it pretty fine for some of these colleges" are you saying my scores are too low or that I don't have enough subject-related APs?

Also yes, this year I'm taking AP Biology (this was just to pass time on my part, not for the sake of taking an AP course), AP Statistics (to have four years of math, this was the only one besides AP calc offered at my school and I just don't want to do calc...) and AP Research, which I'm told is considered prestigious, slightly below IB.

Specifically, the courses I planned on applying to were history, history and scottish history, and history and archaeology at Edinburgh, and at Exeter (though I'm hearing I don't have a good shot there) I want to apply to liberal arts with study abroad and also "history and ancient history with study abroad." Trinity and Galway are a little less known for me right now, so I don't know what courses I'm applying to quite yet.

I want to pursue history with everything I've got, and I love reading and do better studying by myself than with hand holding, so the education style over there seems great for me.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 2018
    @MYOS1634 I would like to, but my school doesn't offer any more courses or believe me, I would take them :(

No, unfortunately my AP Gov was not comparitive. Just good old gov/po.

Edinburgh at least don't accept seminar/research but I hope they think it's good. It used to be run by Cambridge before the CB took it over. I just don't know... All of those schools but Galway are my reach schools.

And yes, I got your note on the university names. I know them, I was just shorthanding :p

In your opinion, do you think I have any shot at all at getting into these universities, assuming I pay the full price? I've heard that if you reach and pass the minimum requirement (at least for TCD/UOE) that you have a dang good shot at getting in as an international student because you have to pay the full price, which they like.

edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43463 replies473 threads Senior Member
    The problem is that right now you don't meet the bare minimum requirements - and for UK/EU students the courses you want admit 1 in 5 or even 1 in 10 students who do have these requirements.
    So, if your school doesn't offer AP Euro, apush, or AP lit, my advice to you is to prepare for subject tests on your own and submit both the Enflish literature and the US history tests with 700+ scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 8376 replies91 threads Senior Member
    @adbra19, it is true that UK & Irl universities love the color of international students fees, and that in general meeting their stated requirements is sufficient for an offer (assuming decent LOR & PS, obvs). As with many things, though, the more they have to choose from, the pickier they can be. Thus, IR at StAs & Edinburgh are tougher admits for everybody- including international applicants- than less popular courses.

Remember that admission is by course- not centralized, as in the US. That means the History Dept profs choose who they admit, and one of the things that they genuinely consider is whether a student is prepared for their course. Every single UK student admitted to any History course will have done a 2-year A-level in History. As far as your record shows, the only serious history you have done is what is seen as a survey (overview) course- nothing in depth (unless your AP seminar/research is on a history topic- if so, referencing that in your PS would be important). The History profs will have seen enough US applicants to know that there are also US and Euro History APs and subject tests. They would also be used to seeing some other essay-based exams (eg English). @MYOS1634 is right that a couple of SAT subject tests- at least one in history- would really strengthen your application.
    · Reply · Share
  • elguapo1elguapo1 441 replies3 threads Member
    You should think about AP Language and Comp.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 2306 replies21 threads Senior Member
    It looks to me like OP might well get a conditional offer too, which means the offer won't become unconditional until after the AP results in July. Do you have a backup plan in the US to avoid potentially being shut out?

And I agree that AP Lang and another AP history course (preferably Euro) would help a lot more than AP Bio or AP Research. I'm surprised that a school wouldn't offer AP Lang.
    · Reply · Share
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal 3487 replies34 threads Senior Member
    I don't think an offer would be conditional on senior year scores in AP Stats, AP Research or AP Bio. For the OP's course, these are not relevant.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 2306 replies21 threads Senior Member
    I agree those are not really relevant. But I'm not convinced an unconditional offer would be forthcoming based on OP's existing APs either. Better to take some relevant APs this year, and then plan for an offer to be conditional.
    · Reply · Share
    Earlier today I dropped bio and am now self-studying for the AP euro test. I should be fine in that department. I'm also planning on doing a gap year, so worst case scenario if I don't get in I'll reapply, and then once again if I don't get in I'll go to Galway. I have some backup schools but I'm not very concerned with that.

I'll figure my life out one day or another :)

Okay, well, thank you everyone for your input! I'll try my best with this.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity