Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

First year in UK wanting to transfer to the USA


Replies to: First year in UK wanting to transfer to the USA

  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 5,216 Senior Member
    @BritBoi The thing that I am still lost on is why you want to do this. What do you expect to accomplish by attending a university in the US?

    Also, how much do you think that you would earn through a part-time job in the US? Students who are here on a student visa are very strictly limited in terms of how many hours they can work.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,802 Senior Member
    edited April 22
    find a job
    My current plan was to transfer to any college in the US, find a job, take the SAT, then transfer to a better college. My family is against me moving, however, if I get accepted I am hoping they will give in and accept it as what I want in my life and help

    SAT's are for high school students. Funding for transfers is minimal.
    A student visa has strict immigration limitations.
    Acceptance to a US school, is acceptance . Non citizens are expected to return to their countries after receiving a US education. Acceptance to a US school does not include immigration nor employment opportunities, it has to do with an education.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,802 Senior Member
    Okay, I missed the part about wanting to transfer twice. Wont work. Where are you getting your VERY misguided information?
    How will it be funded? Whom do you expect will fund this?
    To get a student visa, you need to show and prove how you plan to pay for your education to immigration officials. Also, you can't go over a certain amount of units because many universities will not accept students with an overage of units. So how will you transfer to a better college???

    You aren't allowed to work a lot of hours on a visa. US transfer students get very minimal funding. How will you, as an international transfer student get funding?
    The US is an expensive place to live. You wont be able to support yourself, nor your living expenses because you wont be allowed to work.
    So this is what you want and you expect your family support, but you don't have money, and you expect US schools to fund this scheme. Wow! You have lots of gaul!
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    ^ Pretty certain the OP isn't French.
  • International DadInternational Dad Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    edited April 22
    I understand than In UK the international students can work many hours, in US just few hours, to receive something in between 2000 o 3000 dollars per year.
    International transfer students have few options for financial aid in few universities,
    I don’t think is a realistic plan.

    I think is better for you, finish your undergraduate education in UK, work a couple of year to save money, and then go to US for graduated education
Sign In or Register to comment.