Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my odds of getting into University of Edinburgh, KCL, Oxford as an American?

ned19921ned19921 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I got a 33 on the ACT with a 7/12 writing score (not the best). I will be taking three subject tests and aim to get around 720 on each. Thoughts?

Replies to: What are my odds of getting into University of Edinburgh, KCL, Oxford as an American?

• elguapo1elguapo1 Registered User Posts: 444 Member
    edited May 3
    Some subjects will be more competitive than others but Edinburgh and KCL you should be competitive, but your subject tests will need to be relevant to your proposed area of study. Oxford is HPYS type admissions standard, but even more so because there are no such thing as 'hooks' at Oxford, only academics. Depending on subject you may have to take an extra admission test, and then if you pass that you will be required to take an interview. If you receive an offer it will be unconditional, you have met their admission standards, or conditional, you will be required to meet certain grades in remaining exams. I am pretty sure all 3 will insist your 3 SAT tests are taken during the same exam period.
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 1,081 Senior Member
    what subject do you want to study? Which subject tests are you taking? No APs?
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    Unless there's a good reason why you couldn't take the relevant AP courses (ie your school doesn't offer them), the SAT 2 tests are a poor substitute for 5s in APs. If you are just doing the APs in senior year it is possible you might get a conditional offer based on those results.
  • ned19921ned19921 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    My school doesn't offer AP's so my counselors suggested that I do SAT 2's. I want to study International Relations, Middle Eastern Studies (I know KCL doesn't offer that), or something along those lines
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 1,081 Senior Member
    Oxford doesn’t offer an undergraduate degree in IR either. You could apply for politics or history or History and Politics, or go the language routed and study Arabic, but if you want a traditional IR course Oxford isn’t right for you.

SOAS might suit you as a course, but their requirements for US students list APs and not SAT 2 s it might be worth emailing them to see if they would accept them in lieu. Your easiest admission is likely to be St Andrews, although it’s one of the more competitive courses there.

Which SAT2 s are 5hey? What language skills do you have?
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,654 Senior Member
    Curious, but why are you looking at UK unis if you're somewhat undecided?
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 3,362 Senior Member
    IR with Arabic is probably the most popular combo at St. Andrew's. Since it is so popular it is very competitive.