Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances of getting into these UK colleges as an American?

axloaxaxloax Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi I’m interested in applying to the University of Edinburgh, The University of Westminster, UAL, and a few other universities in the UK for film production. I’m from the U.S. and it’s sort of confusing so I was wondering what my chances are with these stats

GPA: 3.23 unweighted 3.97 weighted
ACT: English-33 Reading-34 Math-29 Science-24 Composite-30
APs- AP Lang, AP Enviro, AP gov, AP macro, AP Lit, AP art History, and AP Statistics
All the rest of my classes were honors classes. I haven’t got back any of my AP scores and five of them I’m not taking till next year so I won’t get them back until July of 2020.
ECs: Ballet for 4 years, Wrote and published a novel, Founded and Own an online clothing store, Boston University Summer Film Program

Replies to: What are my chances of getting into these UK colleges as an American?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 6,284 Senior Member
    Good news: you can largely "chance" yourself. Each of those universities has very specific entry requirements. If you meet the requirements you have a good chance of getting an offer. Some pointers:

1) look up both the specific *course* requirements AND the international student requirements.
    2) READ the specific course description carefully: UK courses are much more structured than the US.
    3) the only ECs that will matter are those related to the course you are applying to study.
    4) at some UK universities you can substitute SAT subject tests for APs. For all UK universities you can apply with *predicted* AP scores. "Conditional" offers are normal- the university makes an offer and you have to achieve those scores. Yes, that means that you won't know until July 2020 if you have definitely got your place, so you will likely either 'insure' another UK university that has given you an 'unconditional' offer, or put a deposit on a US university.
    5) aside from Edi being a great / well known uni, why would you go to the US to study film production there? it's barely in the top 20 places for that course. Glasgow, for example, has a much stronger course.