right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How hard is to study Game Design in a UK University?

ExcablurExcablur 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited June 7 in United Kingdom
Hello, i'm interested how hard it is to study Game Design in UK. I have selected a few universities that Ive got interest in.. I'm asking you because I wasn't good at physics and math in hight school so that might be a problem. I've thought about studying some small private courses of programming that might help but I still need some good advices on this matter.

Birmingham City - Video Game Design and Production

University of Huddersfield - Computer Game Design

University of Portsmouth - Computer Game Technology

University of Salford - Game Design and Production

edited June 7
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How hard is to study Game Design in a UK University?

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 41282 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,727 Senior Member
    I would recommend Abertay (it's got a European label for video game creation.)
    What do you call "not good at"?
    What are your sat 2 scores? AP scores?
    Have you read the specific subjects and scores required (under entranxe requirements).
    · Reply · Share
  • ExcablurExcablur 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I read it and I didn't got those exams to give you the results.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41282 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,727 Senior Member
    Without SAT2/AP exams you can't apply to a UK university. GPA means nothing to them and only those exam results matter. An alternative is attending community college for a year and pulling a high GPA in the subjects listed under entrance requirements.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,697 Senior Member
    Abertay is renown in Europe for game design.

Here are their entry requirements to Game Design and Production for Americans:

High School Diploma GPA of 3.0 (on a 4-point scale) plus one of the following:
    1100 in New SAT Score to include 550 in each component
    ACT score of 26
    3 AP Tests at grade 4
    3 SAT Subject Tests at 550

Same requirements for Computer Games Technology.

Computer Arts would also require an Arts Portfolio.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3448 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,484 Senior Member
    You are not a US student right? What academic qualifications DO you have and from where? Can you be full international pay in the UK? Have you looked up the schools' reqs as it applies to you?
    · Reply · Share
  • ExcablurExcablur 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm from Romania, I have a Bacalaureat diploma 7,26 p. 8,35 math / 8,45 chemistry / 5,0 Romanian / I don't have the diploma near me but I have at least B2 at the English, I don't have any other certificates that certific my English knowledge. I've been looking after the UK colleges and also thought about going to Game Design > Animation.. as a plan B because I've heard it's not as hard as Computer and Game Design and I can still going for a job working with a team in game industry. And no, I'm not a US student, I'm a EU student.. but you know this already.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,697 Senior Member
    7.26, 8.45, and 8.35 is pretty and likely sufficient for Abertay.
    The Romanian mark is low but wouldn't matter.
    English = you'll likely need to take the IELTS or TOEFL.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3448 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,484 Senior Member
    Will you be able to be full pay in the UK for non EU rates as per 2020 looks likely? That would be an advantage to entry as the UK will be hurting badly from the loss of foreign students.
    · Reply · Share
    Abertay is in Scotland, where European students are guaranteed Eu rates till 2021 and the second referendum on independence.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 13
    That will make the spots very competitive then. How strict is Scotland over the language reqs?
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
    If op has a B2 certificate, they should reach 6 on the IELTS pretty easily.
    They also accept IELTS, TOEFL, and in some cases national examination results (depends on the university).
    · Reply · Share