right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

University of Bristol (UK) or University of Pittsburgh (US)

Memo1712Memo1712 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi all,

I got two admission news from the University of Bristol in UK and University of Pittsburgh in US. Both offered good Scholarships. In UBristol I will get about £15,009 as annual stipend and in the UPitt I will get around $28,000 per year.
Based on my searches, both scholarships enable an international student to pay his/her living costs.

In UBristol my field of study is robotics and in UPitt it is about mechanical engineering. I think both cities are amazing and have no problem with living there for about 5 years.

I am writing this to know which one is better in terms of future career (salaries, job placement rate and etc.).

I would be very grateful if you could provide me with your thoughts on this matter.

6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: University of Bristol (UK) or University of Pittsburgh (US)

• aunt beaaunt bea 9770 replies62 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,832 Senior Member
    edited June 12
    I am writing this to know which one is better in terms of future career (salaries, job placement rate and etc.).
    In the US, you would receive your education, but you can't rely on being employed in the US unless you are a citizen. Work and immigration rules are strict in the US. Employers in the US must assure the government that they have attempted to find US citizens to fill open positions, before they offer any positions to non US citizens. Employers must be willing to sponsor a non-citizen which is a challenge with fees and wait times.
    You are allowed some OPT time, but if you are not sponsored, then you can expect to finish your 12 month of Optional Practical Training/ OPT hours and return to your home country.
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,697 Senior Member
    edited June 12
    Where can you work, where do you want to work and what type of job are you aiming for?

How certain are you of all that?
    edited June 12
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6345 replies48 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,393 Senior Member
    Is this for a PhD?

Then the answer is really which program you are ***genuinely*** more interested in: the work / the lab / the profs. That is what will take you farthest in your career.

Your future career options will be more heavily influenced by where you have the right to live and work than by which of these two universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • Memo1712Memo1712 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi all,

Thanks for your information regarding the citizenship. Regardless of my interest and the importance of citizenship, I just wanted to know how employees who have work experiences in each of these majors are satisfied by their income and work difficulties with a PhD degree. Which degree is better globally?
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6345 replies48 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,393 Senior Member
    Honestly, that question is well beyond the scope of a forum that is primarily intended to help university bound US HS students. You won't get a meaningful sample of people who have PhD's in, and are currently working in, robotics or mechanical engineering in this forum, much less for the job prospects globally (not least because job prospects globally in *every* field vary a lot by where you have the right to live and work).

Moreover at PhD level it is less about the heading than the research you have done. You are likely to be in the School of Engineering either way. It is your research that will get you jobs- what you have produced, who you have worked with. As an example, a CC parent whose daughter did her undergraduate degree at Cambridge was amazed when she went to a less well-known university for her PhD- but that university had a world-leading expert in her field.

That's one of the reasons that I suggested going back to what you know about each program. When I was choosing PhD programs I went through the research interests of the profs at the universities I was most interested in and found the one(s) that aligned most with my own interests.

It's not as though one of your choices is objectively bad or inferior. This is your entire future path, and almost every human does better when they are doing something that they are really interested in.
    · Reply · Share
  • Memo1712Memo1712 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @collegemom3717
    Thank you very much for your guidance. I really appreciate your time and consideration.

"It is your research that will get you jobs- what you have produced, who you have worked with." This clearly shows which one I should choose.

Best wishes

· Reply · Share