right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Odds of Acceptance into Graduate School for Computer Science in THE UK

lactosefreecheezlactosefreecheez 1 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
edited August 16 in United Kingdom
Hi there!

I'm currently in my final year of Electrical Engineering in the US.

I am a UK citizen but I opted for a more international experience.

The prospect of obtaining a master's in the UK seems logical to me, but I want to know what my odds are.

My current GPA is a 2.9 (2:2), but I have a lot of work and leadership experience.
The unis I have in mind are:

1. St. Andrews
2. Bath
3. Loughborough
4. Surrey
5. Leeds
6. Newcastle
7. Birmingham
8. Nottingham Trent
9. Cardiff
10. Bristol
11. Exeter
12. Durham
13. Nottingham
14. Warwick
15. Southampton
16. Edinburgh
17. Aberytswyth
18. Liverpool
19. York

What are my odds of getting an offer?
edited August 16
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Odds of Acceptance into Graduate School for Computer Science in THE UK

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 6490 replies52 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Do you mean a taught masters?
    Is that list in order of preference?
    Have you looked up the entry requirements for each of these? I know that a couple of them want the equivalent of a 2.1, and a couple ask for 3.0 or better; for those 'leadership experience' won't count for anything but if your work experience is *directly* relevant that might.

Be aware that if you are a borderline applicant for a given program, and you are eligible to pay UK fees, your chances go down. International fees tend to soften the edges of the border.
    · Reply · Share
  • lactosefreecheezlactosefreecheez 1 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    edited August 16
    Yes Ma'am, a taught masters would be ideal;i have no desire to do research.
    I don't have a preference actually, I'll be over the moon to get in to any of them.
    I looked at the requirements and a 2.9 should get me into :

1. Bath
    2. Loughborough
    3. Surrey
    4. Newcastle
    5. Nottingham Trent
    6. Cardiff
    7. Nottingham (For an Electrical Engineering masters)
    8. Birmingham
    9. Aberystwyth

They all require a 2.8 so I'm covered in that regard. The others ask for a 3.0 but I have a 2.99 so I'm not sure if it's enough to get me in.
    As for fees, even though I'm British, I haven't lived in the UK for the past 3 years (soon to be 4). So I'll have to pay international fees.
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6490 replies52 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Do some background work on what a good statement of purpose looks like and I would be surprised if you didn't have quite a few choices. Bath has a particularly good rep, and meeting the minimum may not be enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1108 replies25 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    A good rec from one of your CS profs will be important.
    · Reply · Share