right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Can I resubmit standardized test scores to schools in the UK?

vxchenvxchen 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
I don’t know too much about the UK uni system (I’ve just dived into my research), so I’m unsure of how worried I should be for my upcoming SAT math subject test. I’m hoping to shoot my shot at Oxford to study English but am unsure of how important the score on this math subject test will be (is 700+ OK or does it need to be an 800?). In addition, can I re-take a standardized test and re-submit the score if I get a better one to schools in the UK? Or do I have to send in the scores of all the tests I’ve taken? I’ve heard conflicting info on this and just want to make sure I understand things before it’s too late. Thanks for any and all responses!
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can I resubmit standardized test scores to schools in the UK?

• Twoin18Twoin18 1529 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    “Candidates are asked to enter all their scores for any tests taken when they complete their UCAS application, showing the relevant dates for each. This gives tutors a complete picture of a candidate's academic record, rather than just the ‘superscore’ of best results for the different sections of any test taken on multiple occasions.”

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications?wssl=1

To get into Oxford you’ll have to be an exceptional student. But math is not going to be particularly important for a student applying for English. You should focus on more relevant subjects, I’m not sure why you’d even bother with a math subject test if you are worried about the score. Better to do more arts subject tests instead. Note also that APs are more highly regarded than subject tests.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1118 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Your UCAS application form has a section in it in which you swear you have submitted ALL your standardised tests.

But Oxford won't care one little bit about your math score. As long as your basic SAT was OK and shows you're not completely innumerate, which is obviously not the case. APs in humanities subjects/languages are much more important.
    · Reply · Share
  • vxchenvxchen 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Would it help to re-take tests and send in other scores in addition to the first ones? Or is it seen as academically weak to have to retake them? Just trying to grasp a more solid understanding of how to divide my time and energy before the school year begins.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38926 replies6879 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    vxchen wrote: »
    Would it help to re-take tests and send in other scores in addition to the first ones? Or is it seen as academically weak to have to retake them? Just trying to grasp a more solid understanding of how to divide my time and energy before the school year begins.

The "more solid understanding" should have been gleaned by the first 2 responses - AP scores in relevant subjects are more important that Subject Tests, and a math Subject Test score is not a relevant subject anyway. Don't worry about retakes until you actually have scores from the first attempt.
    · Reply · Share
  • vxchenvxchen 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Since Oxford is the only out of country school I'm applying to and the rest are in the US, I’m trying to appeal to this education system more, and it seems like in the US it’s better to take more standardized tests than less? I basically am taking it because I just finished my Precalc class and could. Is this not the smart thing to do?
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38926 replies6879 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Since Oxford is the only out of country school I'm applying to and the rest are in the US, I’m trying to appeal to this education system more, and it seems like in the US it’s better to take more standardized tests than less?
    If you are applying to US colleges that require/request Subject Tests, then Math 2 is a good Subject Test to take. But the retake question is still premature.

And for every single US college, taking more standardized tests than is required is not "better."
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1529 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    “Would it help to re-take tests and send in other scores in addition to the first ones? Or is it seen as academically weak to have to retake them?”

Retaking (even the SAT) is generally regarded less favorably by UK universities compared to the general expectation in the US that you’ll have several attempts to get your best score. UK exams are almost always one and done - a few people do retake A levels but that’s rare (and regarded as a failure).
    · Reply · Share