right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Prohibited Words in UCAS Statement

RanzeRanze 0 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
My friend said that "passion" or "passionate" is one example of words which ruin the statement because of their banal nature.
Certainly this kind of story seems like a myth, but I want to let me know some words and phrases which are better to avoid using for applicants.
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Prohibited Words in UCAS Statement

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 6573 replies54 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    They aren’t ‘prohibited’ but they are overused, and clichés of every kind are best avoided. At best, the reader will roll their eyes; some are likely to see it as lazy writing (you didn’t make the effort to use your own words), and some will be irritated. You don’t want to spark any of those reactions! Better to show, not tell. If it’s a real ‘passion’ it will show in the time you have spent on it (outside of regular school work) and the ways you have found to engage with it. Remember that for the UK the first, biggest question is your academic suitability for the course. That you are applying to study that subject implies a level of interest in it to start with.
    · Reply · Share