right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Internal deadline?

HinatazakaHinatazaka 7 replies7 threadsRegistered User New Member
I am intending to apply for one of the courses at Cambridge.
So, I have a plan to submit my UCAS app. around 12 September.
But, I heard Oxbridge unis have internal deadline other than 15 October.
When is the expected internal deadline for Oxbridge?
Is it early enough for me to submit my app. for Cambridge in next week?
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Internal deadline?

• chzbrgrchzbrgr 201 replies12 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Where have you 'heard' this? The university websites both have very clear application procedures.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6701 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The deadline is the deadline. Oxford and Cambridge post it on the website, and it has been the same deadline for many, many years: before midnight UK time on 15 October. Cambridge is not trying to fake you out by putting false info on their website and there is no secret back channel that will help you. Oxbridge go out of the way to be clear and helpful in all aspects of the application. Perhaps the person you were talking to was thinking about schools that have internal deadlines for their students who are applying to university, to makes sure that everything is done carefully and in good time.

Stop worrying about things you 'hear': so far they have not been helpful to you.

ps, I had a student hit 'submit' at 11:50pm on the 15th & they got an offer. I do *not* recommend that approach! nearly killed all of us with the stress....
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1586 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Actually the UCAS deadline is currently 1800 UK time on October 15th *not* midnight. Don’t get caught out by that, especially as it’s much earlier in the day in the US (and unlike a US tax return you don’t get an extra day if Oct 15th falls on the weekend).
    · Reply · Share
    This isn't an internal deadline exactly, but if you are looking to do one of the entrance exams, you might have to get on organizing a test center now.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6701 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thanks for the update, @Twoin18 - a critical difference!
    · Reply · Share
  • HinatazakaHinatazaka 7 replies7 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you for your attentive reply.
    Actually, one instructive book entitled “The Ultimate UCAS Personal Statement Guide” says that as follows on page 7.

Internal deadlines for the 15 October deadline can be as early as the beginning of September, which is only a couple of weeks after the summer break.

So, I came to question for the internal deadline.
    Is this the myth or my misconception?
    Or, is it true?
    · Reply · Share
    Hinatazaka wrote: »
    Thank you for your attentive reply.
    Actually, one instructive book entitled “The Ultimate UCAS Personal Statement Guide” says that as follows on page 7.

Internal deadlines for the 15 October deadline can be as early as the beginning of September, which is only a couple of weeks after the summer break.

So, I came to question for the internal deadline.
    Is this the myth or my misconception?
    Or, is it true?

Ahh I see the problem here -- these "internal deadlines" are deadlines at your high school, for them to fill in their part of the form. So you are just misunderstanding the book.
    · Reply · Share
  • HinatazakaHinatazaka 7 replies7 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you four your clear reply.
    I misunderstood that oxbridge schools have invisible deadline in order to shorten the number of applicant.
    However, actually this should be false...
    I entirely made sense the true meaning of internal deadline.
    I do appreciate your instructions.
    · Reply · Share
    In British English, school always means pre-18. It never means university, as it does in the US.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1126 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well, almost never, eg LSE, SOAS.
    · Reply · Share
    Well, almost never, eg LSE, SOAS.

Hmm good point. I wonder if it's because they are constituent colleges of the University of London? Lots of British universities do have schools within them, like a graduate school and school of arts, and so on.
    Even so, nobody would ever describe SOAS or LSE as "a school" or someone as going to school at them. They are universities.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1126 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Probably.
    · Reply · Share