right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Experiences with University of Edinburgh undergrad Mathematics

mformathsmformaths 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hello,

I am an international student with an offer from University of Edinburgh for undergrad in mathematics. I am inclined towards pure and statistics. After this, I would like to get masters/PhD in a better reputed university in UK or US. I would like to know your (or people you know first hand) experiences as a mathematics undergrad. I really need to decide between University of Edinburgh and UC Berkeley. Any experience you could share would be really appreciated. These are the questions/concerns that come to my mind:

* How good is the quality of mathematics undergrad education in Edin.?

* What are the specific areas of mathematics Edin is strong (and weak) at?

* How much would you value maths undergrad from Edin. for a masters or PhD elsewhere?

* What are the most common masters/PhD destinations for Edin. maths undergrads?

* How competitive or stressful is Maths undergrad, compared to related subjects (physics, CS) and similarly reputed universities?

* How is the student culture in the department like?

* What is the most positive aspects of Edin. maths undergrad programme?

* Similarly, what are some of the negative aspects of Edin. maths undergrad programme or university in general?

* Can an undergrad student get to participate in research groups, with a reasonable chance?

Thanks!
0 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share