right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Year Abroad to UK

PthenTPthenT 3 replies1 threads New Member
How will a year abroad to the UK next year for college (all being well) benefit me moving forward into work after I graduate? Will it add value to me as a professional? I'm going from a top Ivy League US college to a 'Russel Group' in the UK.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Year Abroad to UK

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 7899 replies84 threads Senior Member
    From a career pov? imo little to not at all - *unless* you pick up some useful/relevant experience. So, if you are interested in say IB, they won't care at all- unless you get an internship with one of them while you are there, or are randomly lucky enough that somebody interviewing you knows somebody who went there. Especially true if you are applying for jobs in the US: your "top Ivy league US college" will tick all the 'prestige' boxes.

If you were looking at graduate school I would say potentially, b/c of exposure to a bigger pool of profs to write LoRs, or who might have connections w/ other institutions.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43229 replies471 threads Senior Member
    It can help in several ways: demonstrating adaptability and open-mindedness; the intensity of that time will make you grow and mature very quickly; giving you interesting things to discuss during an interview (which you'll need to prepare and curate); if you volunteer or find an internship there, you'll have one more experience for your resume; if you can conduct research or participate in a lab with a famous PI, it'll also help for graduate studies (which in turn would help for a job).
    After that, it really depends on the university in question, the position you're seeking..;
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 13628 replies32 threads Senior Member
    It will add value to your life experience.

Honestly, do it for that reason or not at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1230 replies30 threads Senior Member
    What subject? What career plan?

Also, which university specifically may make a difference.
    · Reply · Share
  • PthenTPthenT 3 replies1 threads New Member
    What subject? What career plan?

Also, which university specifically may make a difference.

Chemical Engineering at University of Nottingham (ranked 3rd for the subject in UK)
    · Reply · Share